• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why did this get graded this way?

9 posts in this topic

Here we have an AU 1835 Half Cent... But ANACS(I know this is not an ANACS Board, but I thought yall could help me on this one) put scratched on it and Marked it as Net EF 40.. Here is the pics...

297683-1835HalfCentAUFront.jpg.4a374d4fd9ae3910b5e739da7a1b409a.jpg

I see a couple of light scratches on the piece at 11 o’clock inside the stars and in the center of the reverse. I've seen a number of ANACS coins that had "scratched" marked on them where the scratch, given the grade of the piece, did not bother me much at all.

If I were grading it, I would have taken points off for the fact that it is lightly corroded. The dark greenish stuff on both sides is fairly undesirable for a better grade early copper coin. I think this piece would get a body bag from both PCGS and NGC.

Hi bruceswar,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting the many images. In my opinion, your half cent would grade EF with or without the scratches that I can barely see. It does not look like a choice coin, but it is a decent "average" type coin. AU half cents should have better surfaces and some luster.

ANACS has gotten a bit out of hand with their "net" grading. We have a consigned bust half that's labeled "corroded cleaned scratched" - and incredibly, it's net graded from AU details to EF-45. Five points deduction for three dastardly problems? The most bizarre part of it is, the coin doesn't have the slightest bit of corrosion, and the scratch is TINY.

Regarding your coin, the only thing I could think of is if it's a recent scratch (staple scratch) and is brilliant coppery-color compared to the rest of the half-cent's dark, original patina. That's a nice coin btw!

James

Well Thanks for all the info, but the scans did not come out that great... Coin looks better in person... I might resbmit it to NGC or PCGS.... See what they give it..

Send it in to NGC, the graders will be able to take alook at it and if needs be recommend it for NCS services/slabbing (if any problems would prevent it from slabbing in an NGC holder).

If you send it to NGC and want their opinion about sending it on to NCS if it will No Grade, then write that out LARGELY and EXPLICITLY on the invoice. Otherwise, if NGC NGs it, they'll simply send it back to you as such and you'll have to send it along twice.

It would be nice if NGC had a simple way of indicating that you want a coin sent to NCS if recommended. Writing it all over the invoice is the surest way.

Hoot

Actually, what you are supposed to do is send it to NCS with the certify option. If it can be certified, they'll send it to NGC otherwise they will put it in their holder. No need in directly sending to NGC for this.