• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

'05, 06, 07 satin lincolns..

6 posts in this topic

There's a VERY small difference in the finish/surface texture of the coin. But it's hard to tell even when you know to expect it atleast IMO.

is there a sure fire way to tell if they're indeed 'satin'?

i felt like spreading my set out a bit so i picked up sets of each.. they look like any other coins.

When the Mint decided to produce the Uncirculated Mint Sets with a satin finish, they began testing a combination of sand and glass beads of different sizes to determine that which would produce the best results. The easiest way to tell the difference between the satin finish and the normal business strike is by comparing the two side-by-side. The satin finish has a textured surface (even on the devices), whereas, the business strike is smooth and shiny on the fields and devices.

The problem the Mint encountered in 2005 was that the satin finish dies began to deteriorate rather quickly, much faster than the dies used for business strikes. Instead of destroying them, they polished some of the surfaces and put them into service for business strikes. In that year, it was not uncommon to find coins from the Mint in bags and rolls that looked terrible. The surfaces were splotchy with some areas of satin finish and shiny areas where the dies had been polished.

Because the satin finish coins are handled with nearly as much care as proof coins, high grades (MS68-70) are not uncommon. Accordingly, prices are low. On the other hand, if you are able to find high-grade business strikes (MS67-69), you can be relatively confident that they will sell for 100, 200, 300 or more times face value.

Chris

The easiest way to tell the difference between the satin finish and the normal business strike is by comparing the two side-by-side. The satin finish has a textured surface (even on the devices), whereas, the business strike is smooth and shiny on the fields and devices.

perfect, thank you. now i see it.. pretty nifty