• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rotated Reverse on 1974 Proof Kennedy Half...Any Value Added?

17 posts in this topic

rotatedreverse.jpg

rotatedobv.jpg

I picked up this set for $7 awhile back and ran across it today and wondered why I bought a 1974 Proof set until I opened it once again. The Kennedy half dollar reverse is rotated about 20% from the obverse...does not speak well for Frisco's QA but I was wondering, do these coins have any premium added to them for this anomally?

I may have asked this question already and I really need to start writing notes and sticking them with stuff like this so I know what's what.

If I'm not mistaken Woody, if the rotation is more than 15%, then yes it does add a premium and is recognized by the TPG's. That looks close to 20% to me.

Cool.

I don't remember seeing this on this date before. You may have the discovery piece there. The rotated reverse site isn't up any more last I looked so I don't know where to check.

Woody, there is 90 degrees in a quadrant. That looks more like 35-40 degrees to me.

Chris

I'm, going to have to find my protractor and find out more or less what degree the reverse is oriented to the obverse. According to bsshog, anything past 20 degrees or so is significant. Thanks for the lesson in parsecting a circle doh!

Cladking, thanks for the heads up, perhaps I do have something? (shrug)

35.5 Deg very nice

I actually measure closer to 36.5° (rotated in Photoshop until shield lines are lined up with vertical guide). :grin: Now I need to go check my own proof sets ... :wishluck:

Woody, why don't you submit it for grading, and sell it separately on eBay?

Chris

I know ANACS will put the rotaional degrees on the holder, will NGC automatically designate this or does it have to be requested like an error coin?

I wandered around the bay for a bit and did see some PCGS graded coins with the rotational degrees denoted...there does seem to be a market for this sort of thing.

Perhaps I shall submit for grading, but will I sell?

Thanks all.