• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Textbook example of PVC contamination

9 posts in this topic

Ran across this the other day. I'm pretty good about moving coins in to safe holders, but this is a silver round that I neglected and left in a PVC flip for about four years. Not pretty.

pvc_mm_01.jpg

awsome picture! thank you very much for pointing this out! ive been wondering what it looked like close up so i could tell. now i know.

You're welcome. I soaked this and a couple of other rounds that weren't so bad in acetone. The other two cleaned up with no damage, this one has small pits right where to dots are in the center of those blue/green circles. Once those dots form the PVC has eaten into the surface of the coin.

Correction to title, "A textbook example of PVC damage."

The PVC contamination has been removed and that is the damage that it had left behind.

Correction to title, "A textbook example of PVC damage."

The PVC contamination has been removed and that is the damage that it had left behind.

No. These shots are of the surfaces before being dipped in the acetone. The damage is tiny pits were the dots were. The blue/green haze and circles are gone, what's left is pitting.