• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question on counterfeit dianogises

3 posts in this topic

I helped create part of an article on counterfeit gold on wikipedia. The following part, however, I did NOT create and am curious to find out if this said diagnosic is true.

First, here's the link to the article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_coin

Second, here's an exerpt from the article in question:

The US $20 gold coin ("double eagle") has raised lettering around its rim. If the coin is uncirculated, the letters will be flat on top. If slightly rounded, and the coin is uncirculated, it is a counterfeit. However, some counterfeits do not have this defect.

This sounds like bogus to me. Your thoughts?

I would think that if the strike wasn't full the edge letters would also not be fully struck which would give them rounded top surfaces. Also from the beating th edge could take just from the minting and counting procedures i would think you could get some rounded lettering. I would not use that as a way of identifying a counterfeit.

Kevin: Wikipedia is a collection of unverified information from many sources. The information is entered by various people and not verified by any authority. Often the information that they publish has to be corrected by many inputs before it is accurate and dependable. I would take what you read on Wikipedia with a grain of salt. I have verified other entries on their site with an encyclopedia and have found their information to be less than completely accurate.