• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRADE POSTED! Guess the grade: 1936 Mercury dime

20 posts in this topic

Nice looking 1936.

I would say MS 66, but I don't agree with the full bands. I did some quick checking and learned that a small percentage of the 1936 P coins do in fact have full bands and that the number available meets demand from collectors (whatever THAT means...) but..

I checked "Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection" from PCGS and found 3 levels of "bands". There are flat bands, "not quite full" bands and full bands. I believe that your coin falls into the second category. The middle pair of bands is the determiner and the split is not uniformly complete. They are nearly full but not 100% sharply separated. Just my 10 cents worth....

RI AL

Nice looking 1936.

I would say MS 66, but I don't agree with the full bands. I did some quick checking and learned that a small percentage of the 1936 P coins do in fact have full bands and that the number available meets demand from collectors (whatever THAT means...) but..

I checked "Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection" from PCGS and found 3 levels of "bands". There are flat bands, "not quite full" bands and full bands. I believe that your coin falls into the second category. The middle pair of bands is the determiner and the split is not uniformly complete. They are nearly full but not 100% sharply separated. Just my 10 cents worth....

RI AL

Actually, "FB" examples of that date are quite abundant - NGC has graded more than 400, and PCGS, more than 1500. And, while I agree that it's not obviously truly "FB" based on the image, there are many nearly ""FB" pieces that receive the "FB" designation. Since the thread topic was "Guess the grade" and not "How do you grade it", I went with "FB" as part of my grade guess. ;)

It is reassuring to see some fairly high guesses! The answer is:

ANACS MS-64 FB

I thought the grade was awfully nice for the coin, and couldn't resist it. It's in a previous generation small holder.

Thanks for the great comments!

Agreed that it is too nice for an MS64. I was going to guess MS66 FB.

But I have to ask, is that a die crack on the obverse from the rim to the wing? Does it extend beynd the wing down into the cap?

But I have to ask, is that a die crack on the obverse from the rim to the wing? Does it extend beynd the wing down into the cap?

Indeed it is! In fact, it was the feature that compelled me to buy the coin. Normally, I don't buy certified Mercury dimes.