• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

close ups of the 3cn....

6 posts in this topic

What you are seeing is Longacre doubling. That doubled image around the lettering was actually part of the creation of the die.

awsome! thank you. it didnt look like the norm so i thaught id ask. learn something new each day.

so that would be like the metal moving around it or did it not hit hard enough?

No it's actually the result of an improperly finished die. The hubs of that era actually had a "shoulder" around the devices and each of the letters. I believe this shoulder introduced to act as a visual aid to know when the hub had been sufficiently impressed into the die. When the shoulders began to appear you've gone far enough. then they also act as a visual aid in basining the die. If the shoulders are still visible the curvature/polishing has not been completed and you can see which areas need further polishing.

Actually, I think all (or virtually all) of 3CN have some sort of Longacre doubling. It's very common since the doubling was on the master dies. There's doubling on the letters, coronet beads, date, and sometimes other places.