• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are eBay buyers becoming more demanding?

18 posts in this topic

I haven't sold much on eBay in a while, but over the last few weeks I've listed about 60 or so auctions, and last week was the biggest one with all my Franklins that totaled over 30 coins. So, the auctions ended on Sunday, then on Monday I printed out all the payment e-mails from Paypal to include with shipment, and then left feedback for all the buyers that paid. Then Tuesday morning at 7:30, got to the post office when it opened and mailed about 25 packages, then marked each one as shipped on eBay. Yesterday and today I've received 3 messages from buyers asking me when they could expect to receive their coins! That just seemed odd to me, after all, the auction just ended on Sunday, and most of the coins were sold for less than the cost of overnight shipping, so what were these people expecting? I answered each one in a polite manner, telling them in most cases that the coin was shipped that morning by insured first class mail and it should arrive in 3-4 days. This is the first time I've had this happen, normally I just do the exact same thing I did this time, and people are pleasantly surprised when the coin arrives by Thursday or Friday.

Any other sellers seeing more demanding customers on eBay?

They aren't getting more demanding, but there will always be those who think that you live next door to them.

By the way, why haven't I received my Morgan? You mailed it yesterday. What's taking so long? lol

Chris

Sorry Chris, you didn't e-mail me to ask, but yours was sent by parcel post, it should arrive in 4-6 weeks!

Just kidding!

Selling on ebay is customer service related. You must bite your tongue at times because of all of the boneheads. Boneheads that take forever to pay or to leave feedback or to even acknowledge receipt of the coin. I just sold 30 items and never charged over 50C more that what shipping actually cost me but I was pegged down to 4.8 rating for shipping charges. I'm also at 4.8 for communication although I don't know how I could have improved in this area over what I did.

So, I just accept it and try not to get too worked up over it.

yes they are more damanding, but as said above it is customer based. ebay needs to give free bigger pics and more free slots so we can do what the customers wants.

i am just going to start doing mail on mon,wed,fri . and i always use the ebay print method so i know for a facto they get notice when slip is made.

When the seller marks the item as sent, does the buyer automatically receive an email saying that the item has been sent?

I always pay through Pay Pal.Sometimes I receive a "the item has been shipped by Pay Pal" and sometimes I don't receive one.

I did have a situation last month. PayPal notified me that " the item was shipped by Pay Pal". A few hours later I checked my E mail and had one from the Seller notifying me that the USPS Service tracking number had been changed and to contact her if I had any questions. I contacted her and was told that the reason that the first was cancelled was that the Postage Machine ate the first one.

I ran the USPS number through the USPS Website and both numbers did exist but the message from them was " The sender has notified us to expect a package but it hasn't been processed".

I received the Coin very quickly with no problems.

I have to wonder whether it was Pay Pal or the Seller that notified the USPS with a tracking number of the Post office was notified and the Seller was given a tracking number.

The Seller was putting postage on it as she said the Postage machine caused a problem. I did ask the Post Office last year about a situation where their website advertises that you can order Priority Mailers and just put them in the Mail box without standing in line. I was told that this applied only to people like EBAY sellers who have their own postage machines.

So is this an automated message and who initiates it etc and upon what occassion?

I send a super quick email via the eBay system ('contact buyer') thanking them fro their speedy payment and letting them know, "your coin will by mailed tomorrow morning, first thing, insured, so you should be receiving it safely and quickly."

I don't bother marking payment received as I honestly don't believe most eBay buyers even really know to check that.

It isn't so much buyers are anxious as they are to simply get some kind of assurance their coin is on its way and hasn't been neglected.

Leaving feedback at the same time as I send the email out also helps to settle any concerns.

I was paid on a Sunday and it was mailed on Monday 6am ... I was asked in a huffy tone if I had mailed it yet. :)

It ended up being not intended for me and was inteneded to someone else ...

He apologised and we laughed it off ...

I go to the PO every Morning with packages at 6am - Everyone likes my fast shipping :)

It just happens to be on the way to work :)

General public are plain and simple IMPATIENT ... try fixing thier cars

" You want it when" hahahahah

I always let the buyer know when I am going to ship their coin after payment. I haven't noticed any buyers becoming more demanding recently. I try my best to keep each buyer well informed.

After every auction, after I ship the item I send the buyer a message thru eBay message

to let them know that there item was shipped and I also left them positive feedback.

It is amazing how much a little message can help. Some people just like to know

what is up.

Here is a copy of the message I send,

Hello,

Thank you for the fast payment.

I just wanted to let you know that your package was shipped today April 24th, 2008.

I use paypal shipping so that you can track the shipment right on paypal.

I also left you positive feedback. Please do the same for me when you get your package.

I hope that you enjoy your coins.

Thank You,

SchatzyJr

I have never asked unless I have not received at least word that the coin has been shipped after five days. Many of these people ship Priority which means 3 days even a long distance.

Many send you a message telling you that the item has been shipped and provide a tracking number. If Pay Pal notifies you that it has been shipped by them then they provide a tracking number.

If I have not received at least word that the coin has been shipped then I send an E Mail asking if the coin has been shipped.

I have had only one problem and this was last year when I asked and the Seller informed me that My shipment had been mixed up with another shipment and went out that day which was the 5th day after I had paid.Then later down the E Mail the guy went into a tirade and said that I was questioning his Honesty etc.I had only asked if "it had been mailed".

I asked him for the tracking number in another E Mail and he informed me that the USPS does not give tracking numbers.I then asked him if he had requested a delivery confirmation that costs few cents as I had paid an extra $1.65. He went ballistic and told me I was harassing him etc.

Otherwise I havent had any mailing problems.

I send a VERY short note after receiving payment....hi so and so, received (and deposited) your payment today, your coin will ship tomorrow or the next day at the latest..thanks for the smooth transaction...JAX

this small gesture keeps the emails/questions to a minimum and adds some confidence and re-assurance to the antsy and untrusting ebayers out there...