• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

why o why...

22 posts in this topic

i have been looking for 1964 proof sets for send in investments.

when searching for them on ebay at least 85% of the listings for these say "unopened". it is a fact that the mint did NOT lick seal the envelopes. i have complained to ebay and still nothing is done.

also when looking for 1964 proof sets i notice mint/proof sets dont have to show obv and rev. it is hard trying to buy sets when all you can see is the obv of the set.

why do you think ebay allows this sort of stuff? there is even the help area that states that the mint didnt seal the sets in envelopes. and to beware of listing like this.

i used to think they sealed them but when my dad passed i got his sets and none were licked nor sealed. also i baught a unopened original box of sets and they didnt get sealed either.

We have been through this before. EBAY doesn't care.I don't know whether the Lawsuit by Tiffanys against it has been settled but E Bays response to it is "We are merely here to present a platform in order to bring Buyers and Sellers together".

There has been programs about their practices. A Risk Management Expert has testified that E Bay in the weak in several areas and the biggest weakness is in Automation. E Bay does not want to spend the Money and the Professionals needed to operate the Software that could Police certain patterns and activities.

There are still Sellers on EBay that are showing Coins in holders other than the top four and there are Sellers who only show the Obverse side of coins in holders etc.

I have seen feedback where the Seller got positive feedback even though a Buyer stated in the Feedback that the envelope had obviously been opened and the Seller stated it had never been opened.The Buyer said that the Coins " were great anyway".

I find it hard to believe that a Seller wouldn't open it to look at it in the cellophane etc just to check for a winner.I have heard that some Dealers when they get a Monster box of Modern Coins etc tyhat they "cherry pick" the ones to send for grading and the lesser coins are then put on their websites and marketed to the Public as the way they came from the U.S. Mint.

Hi Ant. What evidence do you have supporting the claim that the Mint did not seal the envelopes? There's an article by David Lange stating that the envelopes were in fact sealed.

Regards,

Chris

i have been trying to find the artical. some1 had found an artical from mint on how they used to do things.

but yes I have proof! i baught a UNOPENED box and they were all UNSEALED. also the sets that came single to my dad had an envelope holding the envelope with coins. the brown envelope did not have an address on it and was unsealed in sealed envelope.

I contacted NGC today and it was confirmed to me that these early proof sets were sealed at the Mint. I trust their expertise in the matter, so I think to assume that there is no such thing as a Mint sealed proof set in an envelope would be a mistake.

Regards,

Chris

any 1 have a UNOPENED box of these sets? i will buy just to make sure. i know for a fact that i opened my last one and they were NOT licked.

and while thinking about it i have seen listings for 10x '64 sets sealed but not in box. who would open the original box not look at coins and sell the whole content of box without looking at coins or opening?

here one is now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320241357604&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching

and if they come sealed why dont you ever see a stamp or name and address on the envelope? wouldnt it be a waste to seal a sealed envelpoe in the envelope and send?

these are just my thaughts running so im not trying to argue nor offend.

I have seen sealed and unsealed 50's and 60's proof sets. I have even seen empty unsealed envelopes for sale!

The boxes of 1950 to 1955 were sealed but it isn't hard to open them and reseal them without it being noticeable.

I would never buy a proof set that I couldn't look at.

and if they come sealed why dont you ever see a stamp or name and address on the envelope? wouldnt it be a waste to seal a sealed envelpoe in the envelope and send?

They sealed them and then put them in another mailing package. I just recently bought 60 sets in the Scotsman Winter Auction, and they were all sealed.

Chris

PS. I opened all of them.

i agree about the being able to see them. instead of complaing to them i have been asking for pics of rev. i didnt relize it was some and not others that were sealed. maybe i just got a box of unsealed :)

if i am looking for a large lot of these what would be the best way of looking for them?

its like looking for a '55 DD but telling them what to look for :P i just want some chances at the accented hairs and such. (for a good price :) )

what do i do?

They sealed them and then put them in another mailing package. I just recently bought 60 sets in the Scotsman Winter Auction, and they were all sealed.

Chris

did you find any goodies and was the investment worth it?

Chris

did you find any goodies and was the investment worth it?

Actually, they hammered for less than I expected which was quite a bit less than the listing you linked in your first post. I did find four A/H out of the 60, and there appears to be some nice CAM's. I'll be holding on to them until the price of silver reaches $50. lol I haven't checked the 1c, 5c, 10c & 25c yet. I was concentrating on the Kennedy's.

By the way, when you mentioned that your sets weren't sealed doesn't mean that they were sent from the Mint like that. You've got to remember that they were packaged 44 years ago. Heat, cold and humidity can have an effect on the seal.

Chris

i used to think they sealed them but when my dad passed i got his sets and none were licked nor sealed. also i baught a unopened original box of sets and they didnt get sealed either.

Consider this...if the type of stick-um used on envelopes the Mint used is anything like todays, drying out could loosen the grip of the glue. I have envelopes full of stamps that were sealed in the early 80's that have opened by themselves due to arid conditions. ;)

Another thing to consider is that cockroaches find the glue a delicacy.

Chris

LMAO....

To answer this question the mint sealed all the evelopes, then out then in another box. Assuming you order enough of them. Glue can dry out over time and thus come open. Anyhow I just took a look at a box full of these. They were all sealed but 2 that had been opened.

I have seen sets with a stamp and address on the envelope

I have even seen empty unsealed envelopes for sale!

Most of these envelopes are aftermarket reproductions.