• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

identifying GSA Morgans

17 posts in this topic

How can one tell these from garden variety MS Morgans? Coin Values lists them separately for pricing purposes, but that isn't much help unless one knows how to spot them.

Either they are in the GSA holder or have been cracked out by one of the grading services and identified as such on the insert. I would imagine that if a collector cracked one out of the GSA holder or slab for an album that it would no longer be eligible for the distinction because, after all, it is no different from any other Morgan.

Chris

If they aren't in GSA packaging then as far as I am concerned they are just run of the mill dollars. To me this is one case where the holder means everything.

Thanks. That's at least one minutia I don't have to be hunting for grading these (hurrah).

Thanks. That's at least one minutia I don't have to be hunting for grading these (hurrah).

Yes, but there are more than 3,000 VAM's. :pullhair:

Chris

Excuse me, for changing the post, but exactly why would anyone pay a premium for a Morgan dollar that is in a GSA holder? Does the coin contain more silver, is it guaranteed to be a certain grade, are they all cameos or deep mirror finishes? I do not get it. These coins never saw the light of day until uncle sam decided to release them from their slumber. I would twice over rather have an AU or BU coin that has survived 120 some odd years of public handling than one of equal grade that has been stored in a vault for 100 years then handed out. I can understand wanting an uncirculated coin without fault, but why pay a premium for it over an equally graded coin just because of its holder?

JMHO

Jim

Jim, how many coins that have survived 120 years of public handling are still AU/BU?

Besides, you know how people go for the provenance instead of the coin.

Chris

Excuse me, for changing the post, but exactly why would anyone pay a premium for a Morgan dollar that is in a GSA holder? ... I can understand wanting an uncirculated coin without fault, but why pay a premium for it over an equally graded coin just because of its holder?

Because the holder itself represents the history and providence of the coin. The holder represents the legendary mint at Carson City, Nevada built to support the silver mines of the west, specifically the Comstock Lode. The holder represents the over production of silver to artificially support the silver mines of the west. The holder represents the Fourth Coinage Act that is also known as the Crime of 1873 that essentially changed us from the gold to silver standard.

Just as a TPG label with Eliasberg or Norweb represents a great collection, the GSA holder represents coins that are directly involved the history of the nation.

That being said, there's no problem with not wanting to consider adding a Morgan in the GSA holder to you collection. It means that for those of us who want them, it's one less person to compete with for a limited inventory! :headbang:

Scott :hi:

To add to that the supply of GSA packaged Morgan dollars was really depleted in the 1980s. Back then most collectors and dealers disliked the GSA holders and cracked a lot coins out.

My view is that having the GSA box and the COA (certtificate of authenticity) add a lot to the coin. Bare GSA coins with no box and no CAOs are less interesting. And so far as I'm concerned the pieces in PCGS holders that are marked "GSA" a kind of joke. They don't do much for me.

To add to that the supply of GSA packaged Morgan dollars was really depleted in the 1980s. Back then most collectors and dealers disliked the GSA holders and cracked a lot coins out.

My view is that having the GSA box and the COA (certtificate of authenticity) add a lot to the coin. Bare GSA coins with no box and no CAOs are less interesting. And so far as I'm concerned the pieces in PCGS holders that are marked "GSA" a kind of joke. They don't do much for me.

(thumbs u

Picture007-14.jpg

Picture-4.jpg

Picture008-6.jpg

i respect ngc for not taking them out of the original holder. but if you are sending for grading DO NOT SEND BOX AND CERT. they will keep.

Excuse me, for changing the post, but exactly why would anyone pay a premium for a Morgan dollar that is in a GSA holder? Does the coin contain more silver, is it guaranteed to be a certain grade, are they all cameos or deep mirror finishes? I do not get it. These coins never saw the light of day until uncle sam decided to release them from their slumber. I would twice over rather have an AU or BU coin that has survived 120 some odd years of public handling than one of equal grade that has been stored in a vault for 100 years then handed out. I can understand wanting an uncirculated coin without fault, but why pay a premium for it over an equally graded coin just because of its holder?

Another reason that the GSA holders deserve special treatment is that you have pretty good assurance the coin inside has not been tampered or monkeyed with. A GSA holder offers better assurance than any third-party slab!

For me personally, I much prefer a common CC Morgan in a GSA holder than in a different holder.

And so far as I'm concerned the pieces in PCGS holders that are marked "GSA" a kind of joke. They don't do much for me.

I agree!

i respect ngc for not taking them out of the original holder. but if you are sending for grading DO NOT SEND BOX AND CERT. they will keep.

I don't know about the box, but the COA Certification is returned with the coin as the 8 digit serial number on the COA assists to identify the coin as that being from the GSA.

There are knock-off holders that contain CC Morgans but they are proprietary packaging that look similar, but are not associated with the GSA.