• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Painted, Plated, Hologramed and then some, your thoughts..?

18 posts in this topic

The post on toned coins just happened to bring this question to mind. Do any of you ever pick up any of the modified coins that you like, that have been painted, plated, or modifed in some form to make a art piece?

I collect proof Eagles, and I will admit that I have picked up some to put in a display case I have in the living room. Some are just painted, some have photos. like the Earnharts, and some with hologram effects. I am curious what fellow collectors feel about this. Does it offend you, do you think it ruins coins, or just what are your opinions about this craze of recent years. It seems it has spread to many coins, new and old.

Steve

I think it ruins the coins and makes them look like [!@#%^&^].

Personally, I would be embarrassed to own some of these things, but that's just me. Buy what you like.

Ouch, I didn't think this topic would be so "hated" so to speak. I know folks who don't think much, and others who display them as I do so the "real" ones stay put up. Personally if somone ever breaks in they only find these coins I hope they get them only. I know there are only a few reponses, but I think the rest will echo the same.

Steve

If we are talking about 1 ounce ASE or other silver rounds, then they are not coins, imho. To me they are bullion items and who cares what is done to them. Now if you go and start painting on a Kennedy Half, then we have a problem. Same thing with state quarters. I can't stand the colorized coins that are regular US mint issues. I especially hate the ones that claim to be "hand painted", because I get images in my head of 7 year old kids in Malaysia painting coins in a 110 degree hut.

sorry dennis!! but, ASE's are coins!! they are legal tender and can be spent at any store. YES, they are bullion silver, but, at the same time they are coins and they are legal tender!!

mike

------------------

dont forget! collect proof sets!!!!!!!!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

There are enough SAE's and state quarters around that altering a few doesn't offend me. I wouldn't pay a premium for one but that's just taste.

People have been altering coins for a long time. Look at hobo nickels, chopmarked (or potty) trade dollars and love tokens. There are big niches of collectors who love them.

sorry dennis!! but, ASE's are coins!! they are legal tender and can be spent at any store. YES, they are bullion silver, but, at the same time they are coins and they are legal tender!!

mike

------------------

dont forget! collect proof sets!!!!!!!!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Mike, you are 100% correct. I knew that but I just can't get myself to call those things "coins". Just for fun, I am going to try to spend one at Burger King. grin.gif

I personally am looking to get the partially gold plated Uncirculated state quarters because I like the gold accents. I'm not getting them as an investment, but because I think they look nice.

I don't mind that kind of plating (i.e. the devices or if done well the entire coin), but I don't go for the painted-over coins. If you're going to colorize the coin, just colorize the existing design... don't add the extra garbage.

Of course I don't recommend any of these processes being done to actual rare items (i.e. gold plating the devices of an 1804 silver dollar) because that would ruin the value.

However state quarters aren't exactly what I would call rare.

If you like the piece and consider it worth the price, then I see no reason NOT to get it. If not, don't buy it.

Collect them if you want, but most collectors think that painted coins are junk. If the coin did someday become a key date such pieces would be worth only fraction of the amount that an untampered piece would be.

One thing that really frosted me was when the insufficiently_thoughtful_persons on "Shop at Home" called the current set of enamaled state quarters "an investment that should not be missed." A lot of coin dealers got in big trouble years ago for touting coins as investments. Here these weasels are doing it for pieces of ca-ca, and there are no complaints. confused-smiley-013.gif893whatthe.gif

I didn't mean to imply that I collect these, I only have some that I display. I do have one that is hologramed, another with the walking lady in 24kt gold, and two patriotic colored coins. I have a few others and that is it. I am not a collector of these coins, althought at one time I did think about collecting every modified Silver Eagle I could find. I chose not to, but I don't feel bad about displaying the other Eagles. It is amazing the number of people that don't even know that there is a Silver Eagle period, and has been for 18yrs. I wish I felt secure about displaying all my Eagles, but that is out the question. For me, the coins are more art than money.

Steve

Well, like I said, I don't like the enameled ones (especially the ones that impose a secondary image over the actual coin image), but I like the look of plated gold that highlights that devices. And no, I wouldn't get them as any form of investment, nor would I get them from somewhere that acted as if they were such, but I would get the ones I like from an eye appeal standpoint for myself.

I in no way ever expect post-mint modified coins (at least the types mentioned in this thread to ever be an investment.

I think it ruins the coins and makes them look like [!@#%^&^].

Personally, I would be embarrassed to own some of these things, but that's just me. Buy what you like.

Ditto.

You want art, buy art. You want coins, buy coins. That having been said, whatever makes you happy is no problem to me.

893naughty-thumb.gif

Beijim

Just seems that is all coinage ever was, art. It is just some design that has been engraved on precious metal. I would never have thought anyone would take a hard line in adding highlights as bad taste in coinage. Just would seem no different than toning. Oh well, guess it really means to each their own.