• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would NCS conservation improve this Morgan? Is it worthwhile?

3 posts in this topic

I know there is no guarantee on results. And perhaps the spots that bother me should be left alone. But I like this Morgan. So removal of the spots near the rim (at 5:30, 6:00 and 8:00) would improve its eye appeal to me. Would NCS conservation likely remove these?

Some toning is starting to develop around 12:00 too. Would NCS conservation clean up this too? I like natural toning and if that's what's developing here maybe I should let it go.

The cost of the conservation effort is 1% of market value for assessment, and 4% for the actual job. But it is less about the money than it is about enjoying a nice coin in my collection.

Thoughts? FWIW, the coin has resided in an NGC slab for years. (If you want to guess the grade we can play that game too.)

1884-SMorganAU58obv.jpg

1884-SMorganAU58rev.jpg

I would buy a bottle of EZest and dip that sucker myself. Sometimes, that is exactly what the coin calls for. You can buy it from most any numismatic supply dealer.

I would buy a bottle of EZest and dip that sucker myself. Sometimes, that is exactly what the coin calls for. You can buy it from most any numismatic supply dealer.

Hmm...crack it out of its NGC slab? Then resubmit? Hey, maybe the grade will improve...