• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I should know what this is - I've had a couple before, but please remind me?

9 posts in this topic

Some folks consider these to be an H&K unlisted SCD. They were made from a nickel-silver alloy, if I recall, and are slightly larger than a half dollar. They may fall under the heading of SCHD.

socalled.jpg

socalledrev.jpg

James, your So-Called Half Dollar came in numerous themes and were called "Novelty Medals" circa 1947 mfg by Whitehead & Hoag. They were the same size as authentic half dollars but were stamped out of a nickel/silver ( I do not know the percentages) They are sometimes found in Wayte Raymond holders such as mine and sets in excellent condition can range from $50-$60

James. in spite of the fact that the Whitehead & Hoag "Diamond Jubilee" medal is not listed in the Hibler/Kappen book on So-Called Dollars, it is considered an SCD by NGC. The official Pony Express SCD's were struck at the Philadelphia Mint. Here are three of those. Not shown is the Mumey Dollar, HK584, and the East Tin Cup Dollar, HK585, both of which were privately issued.

Sorry for the blurry photographs. I tried to rush these.

Chris

56951-_MG_2164.JPG.52dfc578e460bf13ede8927300566711.JPG

56952-_MG_2165.JPG.9fd579bff522262c1acd747c5b003fc4.JPG

56953-_MG_2166.JPG.cd792f493a3c4f793a30b5fb0842b193.JPG

56954-_MG_2167.JPG.e05b936afccc796d3b4c46243ab8cdd0.JPG

Dang, you guys are terrific! THANKS for all the fantastic information and images. Honestly, I've come into several of these over the years and always assumed they must be common, cheap and not of much interest.

This is such a great forum!

Dang, you guys are terrific! THANKS for all the fantastic information and images. Honestly, I've come into several of these over the years and always assumed they must be common, cheap and not of much interest.

This is such a great forum!

:headbang: (thumbs u