• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Peace dollar – Errors and counterstruck piece photos

8 posts in this topic

If anyone has good photos of major errors or counterstrikes on Peace dollars, please send me a PM. I might be interested in using your photos in the forthcoming book on Peace dollars.

Thanks!

Roger when are you going to have your Peace dollar book published? I have several books on dollars and on Peace dollars but none of them treats the subject in great depth.

Re: die varieties.

Right now, we are finishing off the section on counterstuck and error coins, although we're open to adding non-VAM die varieties if they are easily recognized by collectors.

Re: book schedule.

The book will likely be available in late autumn this year. The date/mint section will cover major die varieties but certainly not all of the VAMs identified to date. It also includes hub and other design changes. There is a nifty table showing various depth of strike for 1921 coins. There is a lot of material on proofs, patterns and trial pieces. The background info builds on what is in my 1916-21 book then adds new material on the 1964 dollars, explains the 1934-35 (and cancelled 1936) coins. There are lots of details not published before. There's also a section that help to better understand the war and why the Peace dollar was such an important gesture in its day.

Publisher has not been decided as yet, but I expect that to be announced soon.

I am not a VAM collector, but I have been interested in Peace dollars for many years. I look forward to your book being published. The period between 1921 and 1935 was an interesting period for mintage issues, or non-issues.

Although we can't include all the known die varieties, we expect the book to be the standard reference for Peace dollars for a long time to come. I did nearly all the original research. Because I had access to de Francisci’s personal papers, the Commission of Fine Arts, Mint, Treasury, Library of Congress, Smithsonian American Art Museum and other archives, it's unlikely anyone is going to find any significant quantities of new information.

Most of the date/mint collecting information was written by Barry Lovvorn, a top-notch collector of the coins, and has the perspective of a numismatist, not a dealer. This is filled with practical tips and suggestions from real-world experience.