• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gem flying eagle 1c ngc holdered, do you want it CAC or eagle eye photo sealed?

21 posts in this topic

you look at 2 flying eagle cents both of the same date and both in gem ms65 ngc holders

both in your opinion look nice and both have good eye appeal

one is CAC stickered and the other is rick snow's eagle eye photo sealed

you can only choose one ...................................................

which one do you chooce hm and WHY hm

I'd be happy to have one that had the surfaces and the luster of the 1859 IHC I got off of ya, Mike. If this were the case then Rick Snow's or CAC's approval wouldn't mean squat to me.

50184163O.jpg

I'm not sure that the sticker would sway me one way or the other, in actuality.

Going along with the hypothetical.... I would choose CAC, because my impression is that JA's opinion is more respected by the market than RS's. I also hold this opinion as well, although I must admit I have extremely limited experience with CAC-stickered FECs, but my experience with the EE sticker is less than stellar...Mike

I would choose the less-expensive one. If that ended up being the CAC coin, I would remove the sticker, but I would not for the Eagle Eye coin.

If they are the same price, I would choose Rick Snow's. Why? Because he actually makes real, genuine, useful contributions to numismatics through research and writing. I am not aware that the CAC has ever contributed anything useful to numismatics. I also have never read a single book written by John Albanese.

To me, you support the people who make the hobby better, not those who make it more expensive.

both in your opinion look nice and both have good eye appeal

I guarantee that there are differences between the coins that would make choose one over the other without regard to Eagle Eye v. CAC. That said, I would probably seek out the opinion of Rick Snow before the opinion of John Albanese when it comes to this series.

I would choose the less-expensive one. If that ended up being the CAC coin, I would remove the sticker, but I would not for the Eagle Eye coin.

If they are the same price, I would choose Rick Snow's. Why? Because he actually makes real, genuine, useful contributions to numismatics through research and writing. I am not aware that the CAC has ever contributed anything useful to numismatics. I also have never read a single book written by John Albanese.

To me, you support the people who make the hobby better, not those who make it more expensive.

I would take a completely different approach. I'd choose the one which I thought was the better/more appealing coin. If I couldn't pick the winner on that basis, I'd take the CAC example, based on my belief that there would be a larger/broader re-sell market for the coin in the event that I wanted or needed to sell it.

By the way, one need not write books in order to contribute something useful to numismatics. Rather than engaging in a lengthy debate, I will leave it at that.

I should mention that I assumed Michael meant to say the coins are equal in eye-appeal. In other words, all else being equal, I would prioritize by taking the less-expensive coin first, and if the prices are the same, I'd choose the Eagle Eye coin first.

I'd go with EagleEye as I believe those cents were judged more on the merits of being sort of "PQ'ish" for the grade, while the CAC standard could simply mean the coin is solid for the grade.

I know they're both eye appealing coins, but the next buyer (and, there will be a 'next buyer' at some point) may respect the EagleEye sticker a bit more than the CAC decal. You've got to think ahead.

And if all of that doesn't make much sense nor pans out, I'll go with the "cleaner slab" answer above!

I'd take the CAC stickered slab because I don't have one in my reference set yet and I do have all three varieties of the Eagle Eye.

Interesting Thread

With all things the same: plastic condition, eye appeal, and cost-no question for me as Rick Snow would be twice the value to ME of the coins authenticity and grade as CAC would. Rick Snow has contributed to my knowledge and grading skills personally as a mere grading facility could/would not. JMO

Jim

For Flying Eagle [and Indian Head] cents, I would choose the Eagle Eye PhotoSealed coin over a CAC-stickered one if the prices are the same. Snow is THE expert on these coins, and almost certainly has seen more of them than any CAC grader. Plus, Snow's sticker gives you a buy(-back) guarantee. Snow has stated that he will participate in the CAC consortium, but will continue to issue Eagle Eye PhotoSeal stickers.

I agree with the comment that the Eagle Eye sticker may reflect a different, fussier standard than the CAC sticker.

James, I usually agree with your posts, but this one left me scratching my head....

While you are certainly entitled to your opinion, what effect on IHC and FEC prices has Rick had with his books and widespread promotion of this series? Do you recall the price gains (and subsequent pullbacks) on proof IHCs? How about the AT IHCs that made their way into PCGS and NGC holders, many of which were adorned with the EE sticker?

Am I missing something?...Mike

James, I usually agree with your posts, but this one left me scratching my head....

While you are certainly entitled to your opinion, what effect on IHC and FEC prices has Rick had with his books and widespread promotion of this series? Do you recall the price gains (and subsequent pullbacks) on proof IHCs? How about the AT IHCs that made their way into PCGS and NGC holders, many of which were adorned with the EE sticker?

Am I missing something?...Mike

Hi Mike. I do not believe that Rick Snow's purpose in researching and writing a book was to drive up prices on Indian cents. I believe he truly has a passion for discovering and sharing numismatic knowledge.

I do not believe this is true of the CAC. I understand their only purpose to be to increase prices on certain allegedly "premium" coins.

While I have no problem with "value added" that stems from research and learning, I am not a fan of adding cost just for the purpose of adding cost.

Hope this makes sense. To me, there is a crystal clear difference between what Rick Snow (and countless authors, such as Eric Newman, Al Overton, Jules Reiver, Russ Logan, etc.) does, and what the CAC does.

To put it another way, what exactly has been the CAC's greatest contribution to my (or your) numismatic knowledge? I have trouble pinpointing it.

Granted my minuscule budget amounts to little in the grand scheme of things, but I sleep better believing I support numismatists and their work.

With regard to AT (presumably) coins in slabs, I think I've come to grips with the reality of the situation. That is, it's going to happen, and it doesn't matter much whether there's a fallback safeguard such as the CAC or EagleEye in place. It is simply going to happen. The best I can do is at least be happy with my purchase, even if I know for a fact it is AT. To make more sense of this, check out my recent "Guest Commentary" contribution to CoinWorld.

i would look at both coins and choose the one i liked best

if it had the eagle eye photo seal fine or the cac sticker fine also

I understand their only purpose to be to increase prices on certain allegedly "premium" coins.

James, there has been more than enough written and discussed so that it should be apparent there are a number of other purposes. And that applies, even if you choose to place the most emphasis on the one you mentioned.

I have never seen 2 coins that were 100% identical ( not even the so-called 70's)...so stickers on slabs be damned, I'd pick the one whose color/cleaness/strike/ etc etc appealed to my taste the most....