• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It may be gorgeous but it's not MS66!! Not by a long shot! lol

61 posts in this topic

Cant believe there are so many bids on it. Definately an ugly coin. They must appreciate something I dont...

It's sad to say, but there are many who will buy a coin based only on the grade given to it by the grading company, I mean after all they did grade it MS-66 so it must be so. 893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

John

Oh no, tell me it isn't so!!! Y, y, you mean that the slab isn't gospel?

shocked.gifforeheadslap.gif

I guess I am with the group of collectors here that think that 1975 Jeff is NOT MS-66. If the hits were in a non-critical area (the hair, between some letters) then it could possibly go MS-66 on a good day (but not in my book). I think that grade is the result of over worked PCGS graders (1 coin every 15 seconds)......grader fatigue??

Or....maybe the guy who submitted it sends in at least 100 coins per month?? A gift??? It happens folks.....it really does. Sorry. Some dealers call it the "grading lottery",

That being said, Supercoin did provide a decent image of the coin on eBay, so if anyone buys it for 66 money, then they are just buying the plastic. People like that are not coin collectors, numismatists or even coin dealers. They are plastic collectors or plastic dealers. Gross. frown.gif

Greg, you stated that the marks on the face could be from being weekly struck, but isn't this a FS nickel? Those are bag marks.

Greg, you stated that the marks on the face could be from being weekly struck, but isn't this a FS nickel? Those are bag marks.

FS as in FULL STEPS, not FULL STRIKE.

For PCGS to give FS the steps don't even need to be fully struck. Just 5 of the 6 steps.

The cheek on these coins frequently come with less than perfect strikes. You can find the SMS coins with awful cheeks, but nice steps.

In defense of the coin, for roughly about 80% of the Jefferson nickel dates, locateing a high grade example is not that difficult.

Add 5 steps it gets a little tougher.

Then try finding that coin with a full detailed strike or better yet, an EDS strike.

Are we out of the cat house yet? 893whatthe.gif

When a FS Jefferson nickel comes along sporting an EDS strike, with flawless profile, fields and steps, in addition to exceptional toning on top of brilliant prooflike surfaces..............See attachment!

For Supercoin's 1975 nickel, I'd grade the strike a MS67 if all the hair detail is there. The condition, grade MS64, perhaps MS65 depending on how shallow the marks are on the profile and coat. And let's give the toning a MS67. And the steps? From Tad's new info, they look a little iffy. All in all, this coin, with it's qualities, to say the least, it's not an easy find, if it's FS . Could I be interested in this coin, especially at $100, $200 perhaps $250?

I'll never tell tale! 27_laughing.gif

Leo juggle.gif

299769-M85D.jpg.cf32af08ab6b8d5119dae785926be119.jpg

"For Supercoin's 1975 nickel, I'd grade the strike a MS67 if all the hair detail is there. The condition, grade MS64, perhaps MS65 depending on how shallow the marks are on the profile and coat. And let's give the toning a MS67. And the steps? From Tad's new info, they look a little iffy. All in all, this coin, with it's qualities, to say the least, it's not an easy find, if it's FS . Could I be interested in this coin, especially at $100, $200 perhaps $250?"

Hmm... interesting way to grade. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gifpopcorn.gif

Congratulations to Supercoin! It sold for $230 big ones. Sadly, I missed the sale and bidding. But if you all know me, I already have several of these gorgeously toned nickels in my collection. Here's another! See attachment!

Leo

302101-M76FS.jpg.577165c2927dfa3e4e036106de7f44cd.jpg

(((I'm the top bidder on it right now and I'll be danged if I need the coin to be exposed to more competition...)))

Braddick- They have just blown right by that bid.

Bid History

My $30'ish bid was just to get it on my 'Watch Page' as a bidding coin. I was prepared to snipe at the end for somewhere around $75.00 but when it easily exceeded that amount I knew there were Collectors who wanted it much more than me. BLUE Jeffersons are somewhat common but finding these with DCAM'S is super tough. I just didn't know others would be stepping up.

The neat deal about this hobby? There's always another coin and another day.

The neat deal about this hobby? There's always another coin and another day.

How true....How true. wink.gif

John

Hopefully that day came this evening. See attachment. The following is what the seller said about the coin.

Obverse is a light blue-purple with a metallic green and gold concentric ring around the edge and the reverse has the beginnings of a purple, gold and green rainbow effect around the same overall blue color as the front. The scan does no justice at all, coin is truly very colorful, with distinct green, gold, blue colors and is much brighter. I grade this coin MS65, with a the toning as an added bonus.

Leo

302541-M1939Toned.jpg.a0a656680cb0a398d088dc93abf8291a.jpg

Here was an auction that I forgot to pay close attention. Interesting toning on this one. auction

Leo

Leo, I can tell you from personal experience, that that Jeff was ATed! I have several examples of almost the exact toning on several I experimented with over my gas stove flame. See attachment.

David

304399-ATed64.jpg.865816007d869de7cd0ba4cc2a6bf727.jpg

And here is another one. The coloring is all dependent on how long you leave it in the flame. Too short a time, and you get a golden-yellow or a yellow gold. Too long, and it goes fugly brown. In between, you can get bright neon-like reds, blues, purples and oranges.

David

304400-ATed91.jpg.91b8783285238d6a99fcd9b6ec898ce5.jpg

Here was an auction that I forgot to pay close attention. Interesting toning on this one. auction

Leo, I can tell you from personal experience, that that Jeff was ATed! I have several examples of almost the exact toning on several I experimented with over my gas stove flame. See attachment.

David

Hi David

Thanks for the heads up. I have several certified coins with the blue-gold and that coin could go both ways. A closer look would be needed to make that determination and I never buy without a return policy. I also have raw coins that have toned while resting in the 2x2 cardboard boxes but not to the degree of that coin. It may have ended up being AT.

Leo

David, I'm not sure which coin you think is artificial toning, but the three I sold are as natural as they get. They were pulled directly from mint and proof sets by me, personally.

Nice toning can be acquired inside a mint envelope when a cello pack gets a hole in it, or the heat-sealed seam around the coin pulls open a bit, allowing air and chemicals from the paper to leach in over the years.

If you're talking about the one that Leo posted, the photo isn't the greatest but from what I can tell it looks like classic copper-nickel album toning, no problems there either.

----

By the way, the coin that started this thread has been received, eBay feedback left: "This seller doesn't exaggerate! Beautiful coin! A+"

Yet another disgruntled customer ripped off by a sleazy coin dealer... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

By the way, the coin that started this thread has been received, eBay feedback left: "This seller doesn't exaggerate! Beautiful coin! A+"

Yet another disgruntled customer ripped off by a sleazy coin dealer... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

But the point to the thread was, "It may very well be a gorgeous coin but with the hits on the profile, a few here felt it didn't deserve a MS66 grade. The 1965 coin I posted in this thread was graded a MS66 by ANACS but with the soft strike, I personally grade it MS64. Regardless, the toning does improve it's eye appeal but it shouldnt enhance it's grade.

Tad, since you seemed to be so entwined with being slammed here, perhaps you cherrypicked the coin in question from that batch of crappo mint set nickels you sent to me 3 years ago. Do you remember!

Touche' my friend! 893naughty-thumb.gif

Leo

Regardless, the toning does improve it's eye appeal but it shouldnt enhance it's grade.

Eye appeal is part of the grade. Who wants a mark free coin with no luster and black toning that is graded really high?

Greg is correct. Luster and eye appeal, or eye appeal and luster, form the one-two punch of grading. Marks and strike round out the components of grading, but they are like second-class citizens with regard to this matter.

EVP

Greg is correct. Luster and eye appeal, or eye appeal and luster, form the one-two punch of grading. Marks and strike round out the components of grading, but they are like second-class citizens with regard to this matter.

EVP

Luster is part of the grade outside of Eye Appeal. Luster and the lack of marks with a full strike. Eye Appeal kicks in with after Minting storage (original skin and/or toning).

Luster and eye appeal, or eye appeal and luster, form the one-two punch of grading. Marks and strike round out the components of grading, but they are like second-class citizens with regard to this matter.

EVP

Excellent statement! You're right, lustre and eye-appeal is the one-two punch. It either socks it to ya or not!

Tad, since you seemed to be so entwined with being slammed here, perhaps you cherrypicked the coin in question from that batch of crappo mint set nickels you sent to me 3 years ago. Do you remember!

Leo, you are a piece of work. No, I didn't remember a batch of mint set nickels sold 3 years ago, and in fact didn't know who you were until now, but my order database remembered for me.

Since you brought it up I trust you won't mind me telling "the rest of the story". I sold you 180 nickels plus two bonus coins, all still in mint-sealed cello, for $28.00 + shipping, a total of $33.15 delivered.

Despite the coins being sold in bulk without regard to specific dates or grade, and at a modest premium, you were unhappy with them. Rather than have you go through the hassle and expense of returning a bulky lot of coins, I refunded you $24.00.

Thus your net cost was $9.15 for $9.10 in face value of nickels, all of which were uncirculated and still in the mint cello. At worse you were out 5 cents if you simply spent the coins on beer at the local Kwik Trip.

On the other hand, I was out a significant amount of money, particularly relative to the size of the order. But I took the loss to do my best to make a customer happy.

Yet three years later you still remember that transaction as a negative experience, rather than one where a dealer went out of his way to make you happy!!

The rest of my dealings with you consist of an order for two ANACS graded Jeffersons, which you returned without explanation, and for which I issued a prompt refund. And some additional correspondence regarding some other nickels which (thankfully!) you decided not to purchase.

So my net dealings with you have been at significant monetary loss. Not to mention the time involved, even before the time I spent addressing your lovely thread here.

I can't say that I'm too shocked that (as you mentioned in another thread) several dealers have blocked you from bidding on their auctions. I don't know your eBay ID, but kindly refrain from bidding on my auctions as well.

I also hope, for your sake and those close to you, that your apparent bitterness and negativity is confined to coins. Life is too short.

Getting back on topic, I've returned 4 overgraded and misattributed PCGS

slabs in the past week. One had carbon spots and a major hit to the steps. Another was graded MS66 but the obverse had 6-7 hits. The other two were accurately graded but one was not FS due to a bridge in the steps. The last was touted as having close to 6 steps which I believe was an oversight but there was less then a quarter 6th step showing. All of them went back. There was also a NGC proof that was graded as a UCam but the reverse could hardly be called a cameo less then a UCam. I took the hit with that coin and did not return. That seller was very apologitic, I told him not to worry about it.

When I return coins to Teletrade, I have always received an apology and a full refund and I continue to do business with them as usual.

I've been asking questions about the conditions of coins I'm interested in buying for a fair number of years and I have read thousands of descriptions on coins. And I will contnue to do so until I receive the right coins. Those coin that don't fit their descriptions are returned. I simply don't buy junk coins!

Leo wink.gif