• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It may be gorgeous but it's not MS66!! Not by a long shot! lol

61 posts in this topic

Very appealing coin but also quite a lot of hits on the obverse.

Sanmary,

Those are my exact sentiments! Nothing against the seller here. although he should have pointed out the probable hits on this coin. foreheadslap.gif At best it grades MS64. 27_laughing.gif

Leo

The people "across the street" would terrorize a seller for listing a coin, such as that, with so many hits on the focal areas of the coin and not mentioning them in the description. UNLESS, he is one of their own. Then, suddenly the description seems to be within reasonable limits. Hardly. The coin is an obvious candidate for grade review and anyone selling the coin at auction, rather than submitting the coin to be placed in it's proper holder is not doing the hobby any favors.

Cant believe there are so many bids on it. Definately an ugly coin. They must appreciate something I dont...

It's sad to say, but there are many who will buy a coin based only on the grade given to it by the grading company, I mean after all they did grade it MS-66 so it must be so. 893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

John

This coin, indeed, is being offered by a PCGS board member. Supercoin is a darn good member who also may be a member here, however, I can't recall if he is or not.

Of course, that doesn't change anything about what the coin might actually look like, I'm just commenting that Supercoin is a positive contributor to a board.

This coin, indeed, is being offered by a PCGS board member. Supercoin is a darn good member who also may be a member here, however, I can't recall if he is or not.

Of course, that doesn't change anything about what the coin might actually look like, I'm just commenting that Supercoin is a positive contributor to a board.

The coin is at least two grades off.

I'm aware of the seller and he must feel lucky to get the MS66 grade. For myself, I'm too honest with my descriptions when I sell. He's being smart! There's no sense in educating the few buyers too fast.

Leo

Kingofthejungle et al, you mean it was YOU guys that I saw sneaking into my place late at night, opening my safe, and examining that coin with a portable lamp and loupe?? Wow! Thanks for your expert in-person evaluation. smile.gif

The mark on the jawline in the photo is exaggerated by the lighting. And here's a little news flash for ya... PCGS, as well as NGC, market-grades coins. This coin would not look out of place in an NGC holder. Without all that "ugly color" on the coin, it would perhaps only be an MS65 with either service.

That's my opinion, anyway. I am far from a Jefferson expert, but I did actually, ahem, look at the coin, not just a photo.

By the way, eBay provides a link to "Ask seller a question" if you want to actually ask for more info before you start slamming next time (yeah, I know I'm dreaming here).

Wrong answer.....this coin is at best a 65 and that is due to the attractive toning giving it a boost....in any or no holder. Not bashing PCG$ only pointing out the obvious.

Some of the marks are likely unstruck areas. The steel wool look on the jaw line is frequently the result of poorly struck coins (as MANY of these coin are) and the grading services will look the other way on this.

As for the seller Supercoin, I've heard NOTHING but excellent things about him and the handful of deals I've done with him as both a buyer and seller have gone off perfectly. And I not just saying that because this coin is on its way to me from him. grin.gif

pcgs0094106502710547.jpg

Kingofthejungle, you mean it was YOU that I saw sneaking into my place late at night, opening my safe, and examining that coin with a portable lamp and loupe?? Wow! Thanks for your expert in-person evaluation. smile.gif

The mark on the jawlnie in the photo is exaggerated by the lighting. And here's a little news flash for ya... PCGS, as well as NGC, market-grades coins. Without all that "ugly color" on the coin, it would perhaps only be an MS65.

That's my opinion, anyway. I am far from a Jefferson expert, but I did actually, ahem, look at the coin, not just a photo.

By the way, eBay provides a link to "Ask seller a question" if you want to actually ask for more info before you start slamming next time (yeah, I know I'm dreaming here).

I certified this coin myself quite a while back without any real thought to condition, I just liked the color. But apparently I lucked into a pretty tough date in high grade FS?

Hi Tad

Slamming PCGS's ability to grade coins accurately is not far fetched! And you know as well as I, there are buyers for toned coins no matter how crappy the

coin may look, condition wise. But please, address the issue others have brought up in this thread. Do you think sellers should give accurate descriptions in their auctions in retrospect to what any TGC says? From the coin's picture, problems can be seen. But yet, you make no mention of them nor of the gifted grade. Granted the coin was graded for it's outstanding toning only and not for the condition of the coin. You mentioned that TGC's all make (market-grade) coins so they can sell beyond their true grades. Do you agree with that? And I guess I'm dreaming if you can respond responsibly. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Leo

By online reputation only, I think Supercoin is a positive contributor to whatever message board he frequents.

I also agree with SC's assertion that you shouldn't really try to judge coins, especially at the higher MS levels, from a 2D image. I have forgotten too many examples where a coin I imaged looked too marky after a scan or via digital photography. Bottom line: looks can be deceiving.

BTW, the image can look *better* than the coin too...

As for Bushman's comment about how the masses would've crucified the seller if he weren't one of their own... Well, that's just human nature. We all tend to be more diplomatic or forgiving when we feel we have a rapport with the person. Nothing weird here... What would be better is if we all, here and across the street, would think carefully before slamming someone we did NOT know. But, then, maybe I still believe in Santa! lol!

EVP

By online reputation only, I think Supercoin is a positive contributor to whatever message board he frequents.

I also agree with SC's assertion that you shouldn't really try to judge coins, especially at the higher MS levels, from a 2D image. I have forgotten too many examples where a coin I imaged looked too marky after a scan or via digital photography. Bottom line: looks can be deceiving.

BTW, the image can look *better* than the coin too...

As for Bushman's comment about how the masses would've crucified the seller if he weren't one of their own... Well, that's just human nature. We all tend to be more diplomatic or forgiving when we feel we have a rapport with the person. Nothing weird here... What would be better is if we all, here and across the street, would think carefully before slamming someone we did NOT know. But, then, maybe I still believe in Santa! lol!

EVP

EVP

Not slamming anyone here or there. 27_laughing.gif

Years ago when I was a young, dashing lad, I was along with my dad when he returned a new car with major problems. The local dealers of a small town car dealership looked dismayed or possibly at fault for selling my dad this lemon of a car. My dad saw that and reassured them that it wasn't their fault. How could it be when they didn't make the car? Same story here, the coin and the grade it merited, is a product of PCGS. But if the seller feels,somehow, responsible or offended for the way the coin looks, I can't help that! Sorry, the coin doesn't belong in a MS66 holder with all the apparent marks seen in the picture. I've scanned and have taken many digital pictures as well and the marks on the coin can be difficult to hide. It's easy to make a small picture or add glare or focus out the problems a coin may have. But everyone knows, great coin photography helps sell a coin and Tad has invested a great deal of time and money to do just that, to bring us excellent pictures of his coins.

Leo

Well, I will have to defer to the uncanny ability of those here to grade a coin from hundreds of miles away from a low-resolution photo, better than a team of professional graders can in person under ideal conditions. I guess sanmar's Underdog icon gives him superpowers, though I'm not sure where Leo gets them.

Though I hesitate to even mention it, there are additional images in my auction now that I put up in response to a polite inquiry (imagine that!) from a potential buyer.

Supercoin is a great person and has an excellent reputation. In addition, his contributions to the forum are stellar and insightful. He has a refund policy if the buyer doesn't like the coin and he has very ethical business practices. I give him a full thumbs up. thumbsup2.gif

TRUTH

Well, I will have to defer to the uncanny ability of those here to grade a coin from hundreds of miles away from a low-resolution photo, better than a team of professional graders can in person under ideal conditions. I guess sanmar's Underdog icon gives him superpowers, though I'm not sure where Leo gets them.

Though I hesitate to even mention it, there are additional images in my auction now that I put up in response to a polite inquiry (imagine that!) from a potential buyer.

27_laughing.gif I'm actually closer then you think!

Start: Quad Cities, Illinois, United States

End: Rochester, Minnesota, United States

Total Distance: 254.6 Miles

Estimated Total Time: 4 hours, 34 minutes

Leo

Well, I will admit that I don't know why you added a picture of a DCAM 1963 Jefferson to the auction, but it looks nice. smile.gif

Well, I will admit that I don't know why you added a picture of a DCAM 1963 Jefferson to the auction, but it looks nice. smile.gif

Go down into the description and it will give you a link to the 1975..

(I was wondering what the hell you were talking about)

May we all please agree NOT to discuss the blue DCAM Jefferson?!

Thank you.

Thank you.

893scratchchin-thumb.gifpopcorn.gif

Thank you.

(((I'm the top bidder on it right now and I'll be danged if I need the coin to be exposed to more competition...))) gossip.gif

Thank you.

(((I'm the top bidder on it right now and I'll be danged if I need the coin to be exposed to more competition...))) gossip.gif
foreheadslap.gif

A curious statement coming from you. I have personally read comments from you "across the street" highly critical of a number of Ike coins in business strike and proof being auctioned on eBay. You had not held the coin and were basing your opinion solely upon the scans or pictures provided in the auction. Now, you want to be critical of the same practice......

I have personally read comments from you "across the street" highly critical of a number of Ike coins in business strike and proof being auctioned on eBay.

Huh? Please point me to these numerous highly critical comments I have made.

When I do comment on coin photos, I'm careful to preface my comments with the difficulty of grading from a photo. The only time (that I can recall) where I was adamant about a coin being overgraded just from a photo was a "PR70" Lincoln. Obviously that's a coin that's a bit easier to tell is overgraded from a photo.

And I'd be curious to have you reference ANY posts I made that resemble the accusatory tone of those made here.

I'll give you a head start. Here, I believe, is the most recent thread I've commented on in reference to a question about an Ike.

Link to Ike thread

Notice anything different about the tone of my posts vs. those here? Like, perhaps, the intent to actually contribute something USEFUL? You might give that a try yourself.

Like, perhaps, the intent to actually contribute something USEFUL? You might give that a try yourself.

Wonderful! Perhaps you can contribute something useful by going back and editing the description of your nickel auction to reflect the many hits on all the focal areas of the coin. Deception, even by omission, is just as misleading as "over-hyping" a coin.

I see you're not prepared to back up your earlier accusations against me.

Back to this coin, if all these "many hits on the focal areas" of the coin are so self-evident, then I guess I'm not being very sly about being deceptive, am I?? Guess I should have doctored the photo.

As I've already said the main mark on the coin, on the jawline, is exaggerated in the photo. If you look at the detailed scan you would see that.

Further ALL of the marks are minor and shallow, none what you'd call bag marks, more like very fine scratches.

If I felt the coin was overgraded I would say so. Coincidentally I just sold a coin in an MS64 holder a few hours ago on my web site, described in part as "Numerous shallow scrapes in obverse field (not really visible in photo). This looks more like a MS63 to me and I’m pricing it that way." Gee, I'm such a shameless hypster.

Finally, have you EVER purchased a coin from me and compared what you received to how I described it? A few thousand others have, and if my miniscule number of returns is any indication, apparently they think I'm doing all right.

So... if anyone has anything constructive they'd like to add, I'm happy to address it. But I'm not going to continue rolling in the manure for no purpose other than gratification of those who apparently enjoy it.

As an aside, I haven't visited this board for some time until someone brought this thread to my attention. If this thread is any indication, it's ironic that this board has become what many came here to avoid from the PCGS board. Borrowing this little guy from the PCGS board seems apropos --> face-icon-small-disgusted.gif