• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bad day at black rock

13 posts in this topic

Hi all .. well as you probably know i have been after a coin for my collection .. This was the coin sorry i did not show it to you but i fell in love with it and i had to have it so i tried to keep it under wraps as best as i could.. i would have loved to have a these expert eyes give there opinions on it and how much to bid on it BUT i have had other coins "stolen" from under me when i have posted them .. so i have had to learned to keep them under wraps

This is what i fell in love with !!!

120057347_o.jpg

As you also know i sold some OK coins on eBay so i would have enough money in pay-pal to pay instantly for this coin. and now i have the cash and no coin (shrug)

But some thing strange happened when i tried to bid on it.. I put a bid of $800.00 on it and it came back that i would have to bid more as there was a better bid on the coin so going bid blind i went to $850.00 and the listing had ended !!!!!! bummer.. well that was until i saw the sale price of £333.00 / $666.00 !!!! :o way under my bid !!!

i have watched this for 9 days just to see this happen i had added it to my collection in my head and everything

Here is the link to the auction

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160226599364&ssPageName=STRK:MEDW:IT&ih=006

so did i have a lucky escape or did i miss out on a little bramer !

We have several people here that should be able to peg this coin, 1798collector comes to mind.

Too bad you were shut out as you were, I'm not familiar with how the European e--bay functions, but it sounds and looks like "sour grapes" to moi.

If I were standing at a table and there was this coin on one side and 8 crisp, starchy one hundred dollar bills on the other side........there's no doubt which 'pile' I would grab.

The eBay gods were smiling on you Dooly.......

Paul

$800 seems very high to me. This piece also seems to have some surface problems going on. I wouldn't buy it.

:thumbsup: Sorry dooly, I know what it feels like to have your heart set on a coin and loose it at the last minute. But in this case, at least, it seems like you were fortunate.

Dooly,

Regardless of whether this coin is worth $800 or $8, the issue of placing a bid on an item on Ebay and being told your bid was too low and yet the item sold for well less than your bid is something that needs to be brought to Ebay's attention. Their may be a record that Ebay has on this auction that shows even low bids. Unless you typed in the wrong amount thinking you had typed in $800(such as $80), this is a serious issue that should at least have an inquiry made to Ebay. Sorry, either way.

Jim

So you all think i was bidding daft on it !! phew i don't feel so bad now :)

Ps. i hate the new bidding system where you cannot look up who is bidding up against you to check if they are shill bidding !!!

I liked this coin a lot! I'll bet you that it will grade, too. I don't think $800 was daft. A little steep, yeah, but look at the coin you're getting! I love the color, the details, the rims, the date. Heck, I like the whole coin. Bummer you lost it. :(:sorry:

Here's the reverse.

56743-000a.jpg.02cd6910ad18f295ede6ec63ae1a7596.jpg