• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This Really Grinds my Gears... SGS and Sock Drawer related!

12 posts in this topic

Have you guys seen that show on the Discovery Channel called It Takes a Thief? If you haven't, the basic premise of the show is that you agree to let this ex-con break into your house, and you get a free top-of-the-line security system out of the whole deal.

Well, I was watching an episode this afternoon, and something really ticked me off relating to SGS. There was a family on the show, and they were showing a scene with a pile (must have been more than 50) of SGS slabs. I immediately recognized them, and it made me pay attention to what they were saying:

Wife: "Oh, they look nice." (haven't we all heard that before?)

Husband: "They're collectibles. They're something to put away for the kids"

That's what got my blood boiling. It's one thing to screw adults, but you don't screw children. I guess SGS has no idea the implication their mess grading has on the world! Now, we as knowledgeable collectors know what to look for, and what to avoid. But, this man was clearly looking for an investment for future generations. He probably shopped for them on eBay, thinking he was getting a good deal compared to the prices NGC and PCGS pieces would bring in the same "MS67" or whatever grade.

He's probably ended up with cleaned EF pieces, worth a few dollars at most. I guess the man is mostly to blame, seeing as he did not do much research before purchasing, but SGS can't be left blameless. Can't the ANA or the BBB do something about these crooks? eBay has taken preventative meausres by making it (however little) harder to list these types of Third World slabs, but still.

[end] rantrant

Now, on to the sock drawer part. I know of a lot of people here that keep their coins, jewelry, etc. in sock drawers. The burglar on this particular episode found the sock drawer this man used to hold his valuables, and took the entire drawer with him and hauled it away! So, for all of you that think "Oh, they'll never look there" or the like, you're wrong! Buy a $20 fireproof safe to hold some of it, or spend the $50 a year or whatever it costs to get a Safe Deposit box. Don't let your valuables get taken so easily.

Poop ... It is on shortly but I decided to go hit the hot tub instead :cloud9:

Thanks for the heads up though I am sure I will catch it sooner or later -- I love that show ..

People are so stupid sometimes and they just PROVE it every show !

Now, on to the sock drawer part. I know of a lot of people here that keep their coins, jewelry, etc. in sock drawers. The burglar on this particular episode found the sock drawer this man used to hold his valuables, and took the entire drawer with him and hauled it away! So, for all of you that think "Oh, they'll never look there" or the like, you're wrong! Buy a $20 fireproof safe to hold some of it, or spend the $50 a year or whatever it costs to get a Safe Deposit box. Don't let your valuables get taken so easily.
Gee... all I keep in my sock draw are socks! I must have missed something!! :devil:

Scott :hi:

I can't even be bothered to carry my socks from the clothes hamper to the sock drawer after I pull em out of the dryer (as my wife continually complains). I say: Why call it a clothes hamper if you aren't supposed to keep clothes in it? Actually, I say this quietly to myself when I don't think she's listening, but my point is - I say it.

the first place they look is in the kitchen. lol that makes me laugh. also the thief makes it worse by taking the "gaurd dog" and the remotes :P the very best is when they hit a law officers house :P

that show is good for info. they tell you what safes are the best and all sorts of goodies.

Burglary is the unlawful entry of a structure to commit a felony or a theft. A person can be convicted of burglary even if nothing was actually stolen.

A burglary occurs approximately every 15 seconds in the United States.

On average, a burglary results in a dollar loss of about $1,600.

About 30 percent of all burglaries are classified as "unlawful entry," meaning the burglar was able to gain entry without using force — often through an unlocked door or window.

Nearly 66 percent of all burglaries are residential, and of those, 62 percent occur during the daytime. Most burglaries occur between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m., when no one is likely to be at home.

Renters are more likely to be the victims of property crime than homeowners.

Only 13 percent of reported burglaries are solved, or "cleared," by the police.

Only about 15 percent of property stolen in burglaries is recovered by the police.

Nearly 85 percent of all burglaries occur in large metropolitan areas.

Almost half of the nation's reported burglaries occur in the South: 45 percent, as opposed to the Northeast's 11, the Midwest's 20 and the West's 24.

The highest percentage of burglaries occur during the summer months of July and

August, when many people are away from their homes on vacation, or have left windows open for ventilation.

Arrest records reported to the FBI indicate that approximately 70 percent of all burglary arrestees are white and 86 percent are male.

About 30 percent of private homes have security systems. Homes without security systems are two to three times more likely to be broken into.

I have Valuables in my Safe Deposit box and also keep some coins in my House.My three dogs hear the slighest sound outside and start barking.I would then get my Gun while my Wife called 911 if somebody was breaking in to my House.

If the Police get there first then good for them If they don't get there before they break into the House then I will shoot them. If that is the case then the Police can notify the Coroner and their next of kin.

If they thought the "slabs" were valuable then why did they have them in the House where millions of people watching T.V. could see them?This fact should give you some indication of their Intelligence.

Wouldn't you think a burglar would be more repulsed by an underwear drawer? After laundering, I don't bother folding them. I just dump the whole basket in the drawer.

Chris

I have Valuables in my Safe Deposit box and also keep some coins in my House.My three dogs hear the slighest sound outside and start barking.I would then get my Gun while my Wife called 911 if somebody was breaking in to my House.

If the Police get there first then good for them If they don't get there before they break into the House then I will shoot them. If that is the case then the Police can notify the Coroner and their next of kin.

If they thought the "slabs" were valuable then why did they have them in the House where millions of people watching T.V. could see them?This fact should give you some indication of their Intelligence.

That's all fine and dandy, IF you are home when this burglar decides to break in. If you're away, you're doomed. On the show, it sometimes takes less than 5 minutes for the burglar to get everything and leave.

We don't go out during the evening.Aside from the fast food places you can order from many Restaurants such as Applebeees etc.I have Satellite T.V. so we can order a premium Movie for $2.99 if we see a need to see a Movie.Popcorn etc is much cheaper and I don't have to worry about a Parking place.

I go to the Stores nearby or my wife so somebody is alwys home during the day.You can get food delivered to your house.Every two weeks "Schwans" delivers Ice Cream etc to my house..I do my Banking online and my checks go there via Automatic depoist..Neither of us works and are retired.

We have three dogs and don't like to leave them alone.

We had an officer respond to our neighbors home who said thieves stole items out of their open garage while they were doing yard work in the back.

When questioned, nobody seen or heard a thing...the cop said, "These guys are so slick, they can steal your radio and leave the music."