• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did anyone here attend the Louis E Elaisberg Sr Collection auction by B&M?

7 posts in this topic

It was on may 20-22, 1996 in NYC, and if so would you remember any amazing capped bust half dimes that sold, like for instance lot 936 described as the Finest Known a 1837 h10c LM-5 V-1 Large 5C and graded by Bowers as a MS67?

No, I only own the Eliasberg auction catalogs in hard cover.

I've been an "in between" collector financially. I've had enough money to buy some really nice coins from dealers at shops and shows, but I've never been able to justify spending time off and money to go to a major auction where I would be "blown out of the water" by the big buyers and come home empty handed. I've got more money now, but the prices are still out pacing my ability to pay.

Major coin auctions are for large dealers and multi, multi millionaires. Common folk need not apply.

Would you know if the hard cover of the Eliasberg catalog has better pics that the softcover?

Just found out there is no difference in pics, so this won't be the way to find a better pic, thanks!

That auction was filled with great coins. I wanted to go but NYC was just too much of a trip at the time so I mailed my bids in.

I placed about 20 bids I thought to be really strong and even checked the add 30% box if needed. I won only one item. I was shocked at some of the prices.

Lot 936 brought $5280. That had to be a crazy price at the time.

Wonder if PCGS or NGC would give that coin a 67 today?

If I could go back in time, I would have been there.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I attended the 1996 sale and bought three coins from it. I was there as the 1913 Liberty Nickel was purchased by Jay Parrino, and there was a rush of applause and flashing cameras when it set a record price. I was hoping to buy the next lot (a 1913 Buffalo Nickel) so that I could brag about buying Eliasberg's 1913 nickel, but even that common coin brought a lot.

Lot 936 brought $5280. That had to be a crazy price at the time.

Wonder if PCGS or NGC would give that coin a 67 today?

That wasn't a crazy price, or even a really strong one, if the coin was a true MS67. So, sight-unseen, my bet is that it did not grade MS67 back then and would not today, either. ;)