• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Commemorative question.

6 posts in this topic

I was looking on various sites at the 1983 PDS Olympic Commemorative sets and noticed that the OGP labeled them as a "collector set".Many of them had various prices.

Aren't they all the same? One site claims that the U.S Mint made these first Commemorative BU Sets to look like a proof. The others do not claim this distinction.

Werent there a total of 600,000 of these sets made and they were all the same?

Thanks

Not being a modern expert by any means, I would assume that they just put the same coins in different packaging styles. Much like the US Mint does today. The Bald Eagle commemorative coins come to mind. There's the Young Collector's Set, the 3-coin set, etc. They're all made up of the same type of coins, but packaged differently.

The mint sold three piece Uncirculated "collector sets" of the silver dollars with with the P, D and S mint marks for 1983 and 1984. They are so sold three piece Uncirculated sets that contained the two silver dollars and the $10 gold piece. And there were Proof sets that contained the same coins.

After the program had been established the mint added Proof $10 gold coins to the mix that carried the P, D and S mint marks. Previously it had seemed that all of the $10 gold coins would carry the W mint mark. This proved to be somewhat of an overkill and the sales were not strong. For a short time the low mintages caused these P, D and S $10 gold coins to have high price tags. But then collectors turned the page, and the prices for these coins fell back to levels near those for the West Point coins, which is around melt. To my knowledge these $10 gold coins were sold as single coins, not in sets.

I hope this helps ...

This concerns the three silver PDS sets for 1983 . If I go to the Registry for the Commemoratives (Modern) then the first three I will see will be 1983 P ,1983D and 1983 S as mint sets. Then I will see another 1983 S but as a Proof.

I am assuming that that the U.S. mint made a set of uncirculated (BU) in P,D,S and one proof for the 1983 Olympics.

If I purchased a set of three PDS Silver coins for the 1983 Olympic then I would get three BU coins.I take it that there were not BU sets made that were better than any other BU set here that were special and just for collectors since 1983 was the first year for the Modern Commemorative Silver dollar.?

Thanks

All three coins in set A. were equal (mint state quality or Gem BU)

A. Three Coin Sets, Mint State

1983 PDS Olympic Dollars

1984 PDS Olympic Dollars

B. Two Coin Sets, Proof

1983-S & 1984-S Olympic Dollars

C. Three Coin Sets, Proof

1983-P & 1984-P $1; 1984-W $10 Olympic

Note: this is where the extra mintages of the '83 & '84 P coins went, into sets C.

1983 Dollar P Unc 294,543

D Unc 174,014

S Unc 174,014

S Proof 1,557,025

1984 Dollar P Unc 217,954

D Unc 116,675

S Unc 116,675

S Proof 1,801,210

1984 $10 Gold

P Proof 33,309

D Proof 34,533

S Proof 48,551

W Proof 381,085

W Unc 75,886

Thanks. This and what B. Jones stated was the information I needed. It seems that the sets available on such places as E BAY have the above in the Raw State for the most part and a few Sellers were claiming a better strike within the same sets.I was unfamilar and needed to be sure.

Thanks again.