• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

any worth grading?

4 posts in this topic

ant,

I collect Jefferson War nickels and with regards to grading I would follow this rule. Only submit the coin if you are positive that it would grade an MS67. That way if you are wrong it will most likely return in an MS66 holder which is not a complete waste of money.

Grading any war nickel other than the 43/2 overdate at MS65 or lower is a complete waste of money on a grading fee.

With respect to these three coins. The first has a large scratch on the reverse and will be body bagged. The second coin is AU, there is wear on this piece. The third looks bu but has significant surface problems and will probably not grade higher than MS62. Therefore, I would not have any of these graded, album coins for sure.

If you are looking to build a set of certified war nickels, buy them already slabbed at MS66, it will be cheaper and easier than submitting them for grading yourself. Only MS67 coins have any real value unless you collect rainbow toned coins like me.

If you get a chance, check the population reports for this series, you will find almost no examples below MS65, they just are not worth the grading fee.

Hope this helps you!