• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Figured out the PF61 halfpenny grade

10 posts in this topic

At least I think I have, taped to the holder is a note saying "This coin has been evaluated and is a good candidate for NCS conservation."

If I get NCS to clean it do you reckon it will go up a few points from 61?

1795RestrikePfHalfPenny.jpg

1795RestrikePfHalfPennyREV.jpg

hm i had one go down a point and 2 go up two points.. so it is not definite but looking at your coin i would vote for +

(thumbs u

It has already been NGC graded. Now they want to nick him for NCS and a second round of NGC grading fees.

As I said in my response in the US coins thread, almost every copper coin I have seen go through NCS "conservation" comes out looking "stripped" to me.

can i say it now? send back ploy.

if ngc looked at it and said it can be saved why wouldnt they just call and tell you so it doesnt have to go all the way home then back. and if it is good enough to "save" then why not grade.

i do like how it looks now and dont see why it didnt slab.

It did slab as a PF61, the issue for me is, in hand, the surfaces look cleaner than two others I have graded NGC 64, which is what I expected it to get on this one. The only reason I can think they would only give it a 61 is the uneven toning.

im sorry! my bad. forget the ploy idea. so they slabbed it and let you know it could do better? if so that seems cool :)

that is just a beautiful coin! i must say! i dont see why it didnt get higher :( i would be proud to own that beaut.

Its the process.

NGC doesn't call you. Its up to YOU to send a coin to NCS first

BUT, in the process of grading, if they see a coin that is cleanable and likely to go up in grade, they give you the little sticker thingy.

Not a perfect situation, since like everyone they can be wrong, but they are the best chance of being right IMHO. Give it a go on this coin, it looks a great candidate,

Lack of eye appeal drops it from a 62 or better for sure, again IMHO

PS, re my comment about ticking NGC grading only.. this option on the form seems to be for some coins which may need stronger cleaning and not end up gradeable by NGC - you would rate this as acceptable on corroded pieces of course but some would be borderline

It SEEMS this way so you can allow NCS to heavily clean and then slab the coin, with a details grade. I could be wrong, but thats how it seems. And a nice situation for some coins surely ?