• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Edge photos for the Washington Liberty and Security Penny

12 posts in this topic

I wrote a post awhile ago about the Washington Liberty and Security penny, having had a gilt copy in XF45 I believe. Recently, I purchased a higher grade example with great detail, that John Kraljevich was kind enough to crack out for me and brus off some of the dirt. Since the coin is now raw, it gave me the opportunity to photograph the edges. I also took a pic along with some pocket change of mine (the lincoln cent is pretty grundgy, but that is all I had at the time), just to show you the relative sizes. You'll see some of the reflectivity of the surfaces of this coin in that particular photo.

I'll be redundant and repeat some of what I wrote before, here, albeit, probably with some error, but the best I can do right now.

I believe they were minted in Birmingham by a company hoping for a coinage contract with the US, which was entirely unlikely for both, the reasons that a US Mint had already been established, and that President Washington did not want his image used in this fashion (too Monarchial sp?). This penny is undated, but was supposedly minted at least before 1795.

Breen mentions that the US Mint was having 'trouble' in 1795, and this contributed to the British firm, believing that they could get a contract for US coinage.

The Washington Liberty and Security 'Penny' was designed by the diecutter Thomas Wyon and minted by Peter Kempson and Son of Birmingham.

For size comparison:

I think it's around 33 mm diameter and about 300+ grains (19.44 grams)in weight. Maybe somewhere in between the size of a large penny and a Morgan Dollar.

So it weighed more and was larger than a penny.

Liberty Cap Cents 28 millimeters; 208 grains == 13.5 grams,

reduced to 168 grains == 10.9 grams at the end of 1795

Classic Head Large Cent 28-29 mm; 168 grains == 10.89 grams

1836 Seated Liberty Dollar 39 mm; 416 grains == 27.0 grams

1840 Seated Liberty Dollar 38 mm; 412.5 grains == 26.73 grams

Morgan 38.1 mm; 26.73 grams

100 grains = 6.4799 grams

300 grains = 19.44 grams

There are different edge types for this coin, this one being more common, the "Asylum" edge, it reads:

AN ASYLUM FOR THE OPRESSED OF ALL NATIONS *:*

Quite a nice statement, when you think about it.

56298-EdgeLibertyandSecurity.JPG.8b58e1e3cf48e4dc1d53c1c17df4ed6c.JPG

56299-LibandSecObv.JPG.1c61abb5df8a141d401d168aa1cf5052.JPG

56300-LibandSecurityRev.JPG.a764251aa791f7950fc6759be6caad6e.JPG

56301-comparisons.JPG.76e6e64f4f3024b950001a539e13c9f2.JPG

Interesting coin, informative post.

Way to go Mike...

I love it's toning, those are some very sweet surfaces for a copper coin that old, eh?

Thanks for the look see! :applause:

15 bars/15 stars?

Any significance to this particular number?

Sure, in 1792 Kentucky joined the Union and there were then 15 states. Flags made at the time had 15 stars and 15 stripes, and US coins also had 15 stars on them for the same reason. The chain cent had 15 links in the chain etc. When Tennessee joined in mid 1796 they increased the number of stars to 16 and the shield on the Heraldic eagle on the 1796 quarter eagle had 16 stripes as well. And so on. Then in 1797 they dropped it back to just13 stars for the original colonies because they realised they could not continue adding another star to the coins for every new state. (Later they did find a way to do it on some coins. The starry field Gobrecht dollars have 26 stars, one for each state. The Saint-Gaudens eagle had first 46 and then 48 stars on the edge. And the current half dollar holds the record with 63 stars, one for each state and 13 more for the original 13 states.)