• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Let's Play: "This Is Your Quarter, Vic"

12 posts in this topic

Yep it is mine, a $76 ebay purchase.

I grade it XF and problem free except for a couple of hairlines on the obverse (all from what I see in the pictures.) I asked the seller if it was hairlined or AT and he replied no to both accounts.

Questions to you:

1) Will it grade by PCGS?

2) How do you grade it?

3) How do you value it?

Thanks for your input!

56261-0a.jpg.35a3d1744ecb05e340d7a9be280df5ce.jpg

56262-0000aa.jpg.e78493aaff70352a027ccfb781e654b7.jpg

Will PCGS grade it?

Marginal. I think the coin was cleaned with baking soda a long time ago. I don't care that much about that sort of thing for a coin in this grade, but PCGS and NGC might if the grader is feeling mean and frisky. This is "quota body bag" I often get with every submission.

How would I grade it?

I'd split grade the piece and call it 35/30. Since that's not done any more officially, and since the obverse rules let's say VF-35. The obverse is darn close to EF-40, but the reverse is nowhere near it IMO. There is too much "snow" (flat no detail areas on the eagle) to be anything but a "commercial EF."

How do you value it?

You can drive a truck between the Gray Sheet price for VF and EF. The bid numbers are VF-$35, EF-$100. This is the kind of coin that many dealers now call EF, mark $100 and come down to $90 when you ask, "What's the best you can do?" As for wholesale, I'd say maybe $40 to $50 woudl be fair. The price the price you paid for quite fair given that it's a Ch VF. A VF-20 these days is a very disappointing coin indeed.

About 6 months ago I did have a couple of "true EF" 1853 arrows and rays quarters. One was raw, and the other was in an old ANACS EF-40 holder. It took me a long time to get $110 for each of the coins. I wish I had digital pictures of the coins, but I don't. BUT each of them was sharper than this piece, especially on the reverse.

Bill & James, thanks a lot for your input. I agree with you in retrospect. I guess that I was on the rebound since Mark sold the choice AU58 example out from under me. :þ

Of course, everyone knows that it's first come, first served with Mark so know that I'm just playing.

A very recent PCGS submission I sent included a '53-P quarter that looked VERY similar to yours. Unfortunately it bagged for cleaning... :(

I still have much to learn.

As far as yours goes... I'd call it a 40 by current grading standards and based on others I've seen slabbed. Since this is "the year" I collect I've seen quite a few of them.

Maybe an old cleaning and retoned. Nice detail. Overall I like it and think you did ok on the price.

I would expect VF35 at NGC. PCGS will grade it between F12 and XF45.

lol

looks ok to me and I grade it VF35

Thanks for the input, guys. Looks like this will most likely be returned. But, if it looks great in hand then I'll keep it for type. I'm not going for pop tops with my set but I don't want to settle for dregs either.

I asked the seller if it was hairlined or AT and he replied no to both accounts.

That’s like asking the fishmonger "is it fresh?"

I would expect VF35 at NGC. PCGS will grade it between F12 and XF45.

A statement like that would be enough for you to get a "body bag" on your account across the street. (tsk) You should know by now that they are right 99.99% of the time across the street. (worship)