• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1795 Half Cent. What would be your Details Grade & your Net Grade?

15 posts in this topic

I know the pictures are way too small, but do the best you can with them (seller's photos).

What would you give this little one as far as a details grade and followed by your net grade overall.

1795x.jpg1795xx.jpg

There really is no wrong answer as I haven't received this one yet (although it will be on it's way to NCS when I do).

Thanks guys... I think I agree with you! Lots of details, but damaged to a degree that it falls under GD04 net graded.

I'll tell you though, if I can't have one that is perfect for the grade, I'll take one that is not holed or corroded or has near slick details.

I can't wait to see what NCS will call this one.

Here's EZ's photos, softened just a bit to make it slightly easier on the eyes:

1795xxx.jpg

I'll photo it when it comes in and before i ship it out...

I think it net grades to Good. Coins of this vintage in "Good" are REALLY bad these days. Despite all the damage, this coin should be as desirable as the stuff that gets called Good, unless it's the finest Good on the planet. In that case "the finest Good on the planet" would probably sell for VG money.

Coinman1794 I don't think it is corroded but simply damaged post minting. (Like it was in a vice or whatnot.)

Outside of the damage the planchet appears hard and smooth. That, according to the seller, but will know more, of course, when it is in hand.

Not trying to hijack Pat's thread but what would folks think this one grades at?

1795halfcentzf3.jpg

I'd grade it VG-7. It's got problems with the rim nick at 4 K on the reverse the punchmarks here and there, but overall this is decent lower grade example. The missing "HALF CENT" on the reverse does not effect the grade because it's been missing since the coin was struck. It could affect the price and your ability to sell it it, however, because full struck examples can be found.

I also like it. The rim ding bothers me the most followed by the weak strike of "half cent" and third is the reverse gouge. The obverse is gorgeous!

Pat, looks to me like the reverse is "bulged" out a bit and a slight hint that the obverse is dented in a tad. This may be an illusion with the images, but it just maybe bent or distorted.

Just an observation.

If the coin is warped or bent I know of a pretty quick fix I'll use to get it flat/straight again.

I have no problem 'currating' a bend out of a coin (especially one that is already damaged!).

If the coin is warped or bent I know of a pretty quick fix I'll use to get it flat/straight again.

I have no problem 'currating' a bend out of a coin (especially one that is already damaged!).

Get a heavy duty vice and some thick leather. Place the coin in the vice surrounded by the leather. Close vice as tight as you can. Voila-a straightened coin.