• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin Jobs

7 posts in this topic

Hello, all.

This might get pulled because I'm not sure I can ask this. Anyway, it doesn't hurt to try.

I would love to get back into part time coin work. I'm retired, have time, a decent library and a love of the hobby. Is there a clearinghouse anywhere for coin jobs that can be done online? I've sold consignments for a dealer in California until his section of the auction firm got downsized. I also worked for about 1 year as a temporary remote cataloger for Heritage. Would love something to do with this hobby to which I am so addicted.

RI AL

Have you considered making friends with a local dealer that also does shows? If you do, I'm sure they would be willing to let you help them out at shows, and work behind the table some. I know of 3 or 4 local collectors that also double as staff for dealers from time to time.

I do auction lot descriptions for a small auction house (Scotsman Auction Co.) and enjoy it very much. It gives me an opportunity to see a lot of coins that I normally wouldn't. I think Heritage is often seeking cataloging help.

Am I correct in assuming that you would need to live near the auction firm's premises to do this? If so, that would not be an option for most of us. If given the opportunity, I would only be able to do it part time but this is something I would be interested in at some point in the future.

Am I correct in assuming that you would need to live near the auction firm's premises to do this? If so, that would not be an option for most of us. If given the opportunity, I would only be able to do it part time but this is something I would be interested in at some point in the future.

In my case, yes. But I have a good friend who lives 1500 miles away from the biggest auction firm, yet he does a ton of their cataloging.

Hey, World Colonial.

When I worked for Heritage, they are in TX and I'm here in the RI sticks. They set me up with a nifty computer program and link and off I went, many hours a week of fun work! I must have described thousands of coins for their catalogs, some VERY exciting stuff too. ..and they were wonderful with working with me when I cataloged a piece I could afford that I wanted for my collection. It was fun work, intense before big shows and auctions, but good people.

To all, thanks for your replies. I know the opportunity will come up again, even if it is with "normal people coins", foreign, minor U.S....whatever. I learned a lot from past work, kept me off the streets (though back when I picked up that temporary Heritage job, I was still high school teaching and running my private piano studio afternoons and Saturdays.) Ah...sigh....those were the good old days...I think...I don't really remember as it is all a blur. :blahblah:

Have a good evening, everyone and be well.

RI AL