• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seated Dollars: undervalued?

8 posts in this topic

Someone across the street posted a message saying that Seated coinage, including the dollars, are rare as heck and seriously undervalued when compared to Morgans.

What can we do to increase their value? I have a complete set, and would love to see them appreciate... smile.gif

Seriously, why does nearly the entire Seated series languish so much? Who here loves the Seated series?

Linda's Daddy

Morgan dollars are the most common among those "passed on from granddad to grandchild." Many of our parents recall the use of silver dollars, and although there were a lot of peace dollars around, there seem to have been ample Morgans. My wife, born in Montana well after the Mint stopped making silver dollars, even recalls the use of silver dollars, mostly Morgans.

What I'm getting at is familiarity. I believe that people will primarily collect what they are familiar with. In order to become familiar with seated dollars (or before), one must become aware of them, seek them out, then familiarize themselves with the coins. This simply won't happen readily with any of the early dollar series. They are generally for the seasoned collector/numistmatist.

Hoot

The problem is that there are not enough seated coins to ever gather a large following like the 20th century series. Dealers will sell what they can get a hold of smile.gif

Probably the main price swings in seated coins over the last ten years have been the big increases in the very rare early CC coinage and also the big increases in some of the (mostly branch mint) condition rarities. I haven't looked, but I would bet that these have advanced in price 2x-3x more than a generic date Unc in the seated series.

I think that you have hit on one of the problems with Seated Lib. coins. There are not enough of them for dealers to promote them. As a result, they do not have the collector interest that Morgans, or even Peace Dollars have.

I have been saying for a couple years now that Barber Quarters and Halves were extremely underpriced considering their rarity. What is true for Barber coins is certainly true for Seated Lib coins. There has been a steady erosion of sales in Quarters and Half's in both series.

By the way, I have attached a scan of my latest acquisition, a Proof Seated Lib Dollar. tongue.gif

58969-1863PFDollar.jpg.0c465dfe56923c59bdc97ad72284a512.jpg

EVP, Mark: Thanks for your kind words. That is why I put it up. Because of the original toning, I thought it was worth showing to everybody tongue.gif