• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grades are in!!!

10 posts in this topic

Am I ever pleasantly surprised:

001 1834 G.BRITAIN 1S MS 61

002 1825 G.BRITAIN BARE BUST 1S MS 62

003 1816 G.BRITAIN 1S MS 64

004 (1639-40) G.BRITAIN S-2799 CHARLES I 1S XF 45

005 1902 G.BRITAIN 1S PF 64 MATTE

I'm disappointed in the 1795 PF halfpenny as they gave it a 61, and it's nicer than most of the shillings.

But it's time for a happy dance. :banana:

:applause: :applause: :applause::takeit:

And, this thread is in serious need of pictures. Anytime we're talking about nice shillings, pictures are required. (especially that Charles I, gee whiz!)

Hey, speaking of Charles I, could you give us a history lesson, Dooly? I've recently read about the English Civil War, but am somewhat confused as to it's causes and such. Could you enlighten us, as our resident Englishman?

Thanks guys, I'll have to resize some of the other images, the 1902 proof is a pop 4/0, really pleased as I was kind of worrying about a BB, sort of had a previously cleaned look to me.

The Charles I:

Charles1TowerOBV.jpg

Charles1TowerREV.jpg

The 1816:

1816ShillingOBV.jpg

1816ShillingREV.jpg

1902 Matte Proof sovs do have that look, all of them do

Most were wiped by mint workers unfamiliar with the appearance

Image ? mines only a 62..

JCM-Houston.

The coins are absolutely fantastic. I've been looking at the pictures for about 5 minutes now. What great stuff!!

One of my "goals" is to have a real coin from Elizabeth 1's reign...just because my high school Music History classes got hooked on her history and the wonderful "Elizabeth" movie of several years ago. I did too. (The more recent movie &*^&@%^#$%^:censored:) Anyway, is this an attainable goal these days, just a circulated fine or VF...any denomination...are these prohibitively expensive?

RI AL...too diversified in collecting interests to make any sense at all...or finish any set....I want it all... :screwy:

JCM-Houston.

The coins are absolutely fantastic. I've been looking at the pictures for about 5 minutes now. What great stuff!!

One of my "goals" is to have a real coin from Elizabeth 1's reign...just because my high school Music History classes got hooked on her history and the wonderful "Elizabeth" movie of several years ago. I did too. (The more recent movie &*^&@%^#$%^:censored:) Anyway, is this an attainable goal these days, just a circulated fine or VF...any denomination...are these prohibitively expensive?

RI AL...too diversified in collecting interests to make any sense at all...or finish any set....I want it all... :screwy:

Your best bet is probably going to be a shilling, those usually had the highest mintages. Here is one on the bay right now, it will probably go for about a hundred in the end. That's where ones of this quality usually wind up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ELIZABETH-I-1558-1603-SILVER-SHILLING_W0QQitemZ300212701788QQihZ020QQcategoryZ3401QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You can fidn Eliz. I coins relatively often. VF+ shillings and sixpences generally run about $250-550. I think it would be worth saving for one in that grade. northeastcoins.com has a couple of Elizbethan coins now.