• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vam help

4 posts in this topic

I need some help hope someone can give me a vam on this one. It has a huge die crack on the reverse and some kind of clash to the right of the right wing (shrug)

morgans5.jpg

morgans6.jpg

1G III21 · C3a (Clashed Obverse n) (189) I-2 R-5

Here is the one I think it is it has the clash by the N and other similarities. Is there any premium for the R-5 or this perticular vam?

From your photo, this doesn't look like the 1G. I don't see any evidence of the clash around Liberty's lips produced by the leaves of the wreath, and there isn't any evidence of doubling of the reverse clashes - between the wreath and the eagle's left wing (viewer's right) produced by the v-shape of Liberty's cap - just to the inside of the right wreath produced by Liberty's facial outline - the vertical line from the "n" in IGWT to the eagle's right wing produced by Liberty's neck. It's hard to discern through the toning whether or not there is evidence of the "n", but it would be inverted just below another clash on the obverse extending southwest from Liberty's neck just below the jawline produced by the edge of the eagle's right wing.

Clashes are quite common on Morgans, and most of them are not significant enough to warrant a VAM assignment. However, a clash that involves any lettering will receive a VAM assignment. Die cracks are also insignificant where a VAM assignment is concerned and are more often used as markers.

I would have to see better close-up photos to be sure.

Chris