• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

need sales help and feedback!

46 posts in this topic

i have been selling things on ebay for a long time now. i used to only do jewelry, but now am doing coins and other things.

i have noticed it is very hard for me to get attention on my sales. and if it wasnt for tradingslabs,and collector society i wouldnt have any sales i dont think. but letting a 1/2 of silver go for .99 is killing me.

my question/problem is ive let alot of silver go for .99c and other stuff far below value. what am i doing wrong? i know yall wont hold back and hope you dont (please no name calling). but i need a kick in the rear or something. if i need better pics,more desription (as in every detail i can find), better shipping options,........

please kick me!

Can you post a few examples of your previous listings/offerings so we can see them and hopefully provide some feedback (and kicks :devil:)?

How much is your shipping? Folks typically factor in the cost of shipping and/or insurance into their bids, if they are smart, and if you are charging perhaps $5 or so for shipping then your silver half costs the buyer $6.

the link to my ebay sales is in signiture section of every post " *my ebay goodies* ". let me put some padding on since its mark and tom first :P but i need to know what im doing wrong so im not "flopping" all the time.

a pre "ouch" and "thanks" to all :)

I went through some of your closed auctions and found the Franklin half that sold for $2.25, but could not find a silver half that closed at 99-cents. The Franklin lists shipping costs as $4.60 right at the top of the auction and then lists $2.00 for optional insurance at the bottom. A buyer might then calculate that it would cost $8.85 for a circulated Franklin half, which is plenty for that type of material. Also, your images are too dark so that they do not give a good look at the coin. Additionally, you only list PayPal as a payment option and you give no information as to any return period. These are very basic errors, in my opinion, that should be corrected.

The 1985 proof set is likely a complete set in its holder and with original government packaging, but you only show the coins individually and I would think that many folks might believe they would receive a pile of loose coins instead of a set. Again, the image is not very good and your shipping listed at the top is $4.60 and then another $2.00 for insurance listed at the bottom in combination with the winning bid of $1.05 would yield a cost of $7.05 to the buyer for a set that bids at $4.25 in the Greysheet. Also, you only list PayPal here, too.

One stylistic thing I do not like is your use of continuous capitalization. I don't like when sellers do this and also don't like when sellers spell words incorrectly, which you do in your auctions.

on most my items i dont allow returns due to thieving. here is a lil battle story.

i have sold many rings and earings with genuine diamonds. if i could have used both account i could show you the very first account... but out of say 7 items i had 4 come back (which isnt a problem) but when they came back they came back with a non real stone in them. as the seller i had no way of prooving they swapped the stone so i had to take the losses.

i have had coins that were in a dansco switched and sent back before (they took the toned coins).

so now if it is in "raw / unslabbed " condition. i cannot take returns. i know its not every one but cause of some few i now am worried im just hooking some1 up with free upgrade or better filler.

the spelling thing i am trying to work on now and will be better each time i promise :)

i would like to show more pics and all but i cant spend alot on pics if items wont sell. if they aloted more pics (free pics)i would gladly show more. but when puting all the pics on 1 photo i run out of room and am forced to go smaller which in turn takes the clarity away!

if you look in the actual shipping section i have a $2 shipping option in all of my listings ( unless free)

the link to my ebay sales is in signiture section of every post " *my ebay goodies* ".
Sorry, I don't see it.

I don't see it either. Still havn't.The reason. Do you want to view other user's signatures with their posts? NO. > in my preferences.

ok maybe im realy slow :P

say i list 3 choices for shipping. does the top choice always show up next to the first item pic at top of page ?

also i dont seem to have the type of mailing correct in my head.

media = items like news papers and such with NO advertising

regestered = ?

parcel post = ?

priorety = 2-3 day delivery

express = next day or second day

what is the most cheap and common choices for ebay? flat rate and what other choices?

thanks again :)

the link to my ebay sales is in signiture section of every post " *my ebay goodies* ".
Sorry, I don't see it.

I don't see it either. Still havn't.The reason. Do you want to view other user's signatures with their posts? NO. > in my preferences.

didnt even think of that! i have added link for those in a post above :)

I looked at a few listings and offer the following comments:

1) I didn't see mention of combined shipping for multiple items that are won - I'd suggest that be included in your listings.

2) I'd get rid of the all-capital letters.

3) I'd shorten the listing headings, where possible. For example, instead of "1961 FRANKLIN 50C PROOF GRADE OF PR66 CAM BY PCGS", I'd recommend: "PCGS PR66 CAM 1961 Franklin Half Dollar" or "1961 Franklin Half Dollar PCGS PR66 CAM".

4) I'm not sure how I feel about the "must go" language in some listing titles. On one hand, it might entice bidders, but on the other hand, it might encourage them to bid low.

5) I'd list the lower cost "US Postal Service Parcel Post" option first, instead of second. It's possible that some potential bidders might not read beyond the current higher priced "US Postal Service Priority Mail" fee.

Best of luck.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130210372714

what do you think on shipping now? is it showing correct to yall? i had looked at the settings i have and it says it should show the additional items costs as 0.00 (free) meaning if you win 5 items you just pay the 1 cost (i think).

but i redid the shipping portion and payment portion on the frankie! let me know what you think now.

the number 4 you mentioned mark does make me wonder. am i making them think its junk and must get it out of here. or am i making it sound like im just too swamped? i never thaught about it till you said something. and i thank you for it.

thank you tom and mark! this is helping me open my eyes more! little things to me like spelling could be a huge thing to some1 else. also when i use caps i wanted it to be big and clear . i never thaught it was hard for others to read. and as a sales person i cant be thinking of me only.

i also dont realy know what to do about the "return" polocy. on some of my jewelry i have the diamond report number lazered into diamond itself so its it tracable and cant be swapped.

what would you recommend as a stated return that is fair to both me seller and them the buyer.

That is better. I would still make sure not to use all caps in your descriptions. I like to listing my shipping rates at the bottom of my description, along with payments accepted and I include a chart for the USPS insurance amounts.

I also like more pictures. You can use photobucket to host more pictures.

I won't bid on or buy a coin that does not have a clearly written return policy that allows me to return the coin after in-hand inspection. There are no exceptions to that rule.

i have had people send me coins in flips with a staple and sticker over it stating" once staple is removed it means your happy" is this cosher ! i like the idea cause then i have a better feeling. but there are tricky people out there that could get around that even. am i just tooo paranoid (if thats how it is spelled :) )

Hey,

I am new here but have sold on eBay for over 8 years. Anyway, for coins, I always use First Class Mail. If you ship via PayPal, you have that option there. You could always use for a single coin weight of 3oz. For 3oz and delivery confirmation number (ALWAYS USE), it costs only $1.65. You might want to add a little for your packing supplies but $2.50 for a coin would be plenty. And always offer multi item shipping discount. The weight is not going to go up that much and the price would not either. You could charge $1.45 for each additional coin and that would cover all your costs.

Hope this helps.

yes it helps! thank you!

my whole way of thinking is give a good/better deal. so this kick in rear will help. if there is anything else that makes any1 sick about the listings dont be shy to tell.

Also, if you have enough room in title, at the end of it put the letters NR for No Reserve. I know lots of people when searching actually put those letters in there search to make sure the get only No Reserve auctions.

(thumbs u

Hello Ant.

Looking at your auctions, one sticks out that I'll offer some advice on(JMHO). The auction is for a 1961 Franklin Half PCGS PR66CAM. Ebay

1. Too wordy of a heading

2. Too many Capital letters in the body.

3. You have an opening bid too near what the value of the coin is. By the time you

add in freight, bidders will feel there is no possibility of a good deal. This is

what the majority of bidders are after(again my opinion). This is akin to having a

Reserve on an auction. Many bidders shy away from bidding on this.

4. No Return Policy! Bidders shy away from this as much as negative feedback,

at least the smart ones.

5. Poor photographs. Even on low end items there are no reasons for poor

photography.

I hope this is received as it is intended-just remember it is supposed to be an auction. Let common sense rule.

Good luck

Jim

on the photos, are they too dark, too fuzzy ,scrunched? i have the cam and ability to take good pics but the price of listing pics makes me put them all on one page.

the BV on the frankie is $55 the start price is 20$ below that. what would be a good start for that item? thinking as a seller this time cause the coin wasnt free for me either.

Ant- I'm sure the suggestions above will certainly help however....

I think that your product does not lend itself to high markups and stiff bidding competition. I don’t mean to knock your coins its just that they items typically found in the white bin at a show that says “50% off marked price” These low markups makes its hard to get any profit momentum.

If you feel that traffic is your issue… I usually put a high quality item with a 1C start and then put my other auctions as advertisements into it. I’ve had a little success with this.

Good luck dude, I hope it works out

mark ups? may i ask how im marking up. maybe im just not relizing it but i feel i have some low prices. heck the silver is below melt and not 1 watcher!

Another suggestion is stop using ! and ? after words. When someone searches Rare on the eBay and you have Rare!, the search will not find it. It looks at the exact words.

I saw you have Rare!, Dollar!, DCAM?, MS69!, MS67!. If anyone is searching MS67 or those other words, they will not find your items.

In my experience, I have found lackluster, not interesting (even somewhat boring) coins on eBay don't generally do exceptionally well.

That's simply the nature of the beast.