• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1891-CC VAM-3 TOP 100 MORGAN HELP!!!

20 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I wanted your opinion on this coin please. Below are 2 pics of it and I wanted to know if anyone could tell if it's been cleaned and if not, what grade would you give it. I did not see any signes of cleaning and would give it an MS-64 DPL. Lets see what you guys think.

1891-CCVAM-3MORGANFront.jpg

1891-CCVAM-3MORGANback.jpg

This looks like a proof coin with how reflective everything is. But something just doesn't look right to me with this coin. The picture is not the best.

Beautiful coin, jo. It has the look of a coin that has been in a jewelry holder-note the 3 and 9 oclock rim positions on the reverse. Maybe not, but something is there. Has anyone measured the depth of the mirror finish as there is a $5-6k difference in value between the PL and DPL in the 64 grade you infer. From the pics you offer a grade is hard but this coin could easily go MS64 and at least PL

Great coin.

Good luck and welcome to the forum, I am sure you will find your answers here.

Jim

The reflectivity appears unnatural to me, but it could be a problem with the imaging technique. From the standpoint of surfaces and detail, it should grade MS-63 or so. I don't think the obverse will allow for a PL modifier, however.

It looks thumbed.

Or are those fingers? lol

Ok, maybe it's just the pictures but it doesn't look quite right to me either. Maybe it's just a PL that's been dipped. (shrug)

Can you give us close-ups of Liberty's chin, the eagle's beak, the mintmark and the reverse denticles between 1 and 4 o'clock?

Chris

Thanks guys. I will try to get some more closeups and see if they help. I just don't want to invest money into grading if it's just going to comeback body bagged. It is a rare coin and it would really stink if some insufficiently_thoughtful_person did something to it.

Thanks guys. I will try to get some more closeups and see if they help. I just don't want to invest money into grading if it's just going to comeback body bagged. It is a rare coin and it would really stink if some insufficiently_thoughtful_person did something to it.

I don't think it's a waste of money to get it certified! It's a coin you should send in.

I would like to see more close ups. I have to agree with a previuos poster that it might have been in some holder as the denticles at 3 oclock and nine o clock look a little damaged but it could be the picture.

While it is true that NGC will body bag it if this is the case I would still send it to ANACS. The 1891 CC is worth encapsulating if it is authenic which seems to be the case. ANACS will still put it in a holder but will detail it if this is the case.

The obverse just dosent look righ to me.

We would like to hear your thoughts about why? (please explain, this is not a trap, just curious as to why you thought the obverse does not look right to you)

Welcome. :hi:

Thanks for the welcome.

It just seems polished to me from the photo. I could be wrong but there dosen't seem to be the contrast on the obverse compared to the reverse. I am no expert and I certainly am not trying to dog on anyones coins. That was just my initial reaction.

Lots of times those first knee jerk, gut reactions are realistic. There are times instinct can rule out what you think maybe common sense. ;)

We really need better pics. All I see is camera and fingers...... ;)

Yes, we really do need better photos (I should talk!). The reverse looks like a bald-headed man kissing someone's butt.

Chris

We really need better pics. All I see is camera and fingers...... ;)

The reverse looks like a bald-headed man kissing someone's butt.

Chris

This is actually way too much information! :blush:

Butt, (get it) maybe they were attempting to show the reflective properties of the mirrors? I know there are better ways to do this, butt this was his way, accidental or not.

Agreed...in this case, better pics would help.