• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin zip

12 posts in this topic

Hi all

I was just wondering is board members think it would be a good idea to have a "sticky post" on the market place to post links to there sales on Coin zip (shrug)

dooly

cheers for the comment Kryptonitecomics

I think it is different to eBay as it is Free to list,sell, buy etc and is devoted to collectors and dealers of coins not a money making organization like eBay.

(shrug) just my opinion (shrug)

cheers for the comment Kryptonitecomics

I think it is different to eBay as it is Free to list,sell, buy etc and is devoted to collectors and dealers of coins not a money making organization like eBay.

(shrug) just my opinion (shrug)

It is currently free to sell, but starting in January, 2009 there is a $3.99 per month service fee for sellers as well as the current, optional fees-

1. Home Page Featured Item $5.00

2. Home Page Spotlight Item Fee $1.00

3. Category Page Featured Item $0.50

4. Bold Listing Item $0.25

I believe this would be considered a for-profit endeavor.

I like coinzip but I want to be fair to all sellers....I currently only sell on Ebay and after a few days my threads in the BST will make it to the back page. I don't want a sticky for coin zip even though I support what Alan is doing over there becuase I want fair and equal treatment for my auction links. (thumbs u

I've wondered the following about CoinZip:

1. What buyer/seller protection does it offer, if any?

2. What kind of traffic does it have?

I've surfed over there once or twice, and what I saw in my brief looksee was a lot of coins with BINs rather than auctions and a little note that said (ONLY!) 266 coins sold since January. I didn't see the kind of volume (1300 odd auctions) that makes me thing it's capable of competing with eBay. I also didn't see anything that makes me feel safer as a buyer or seller there than I do here or eBay. I do appreciate that it offers categories and search features not as easily accessible in the BST forums here or ATS.

I haven't spent a lot of time over there, so perhaps someone will point out why I'm wrong in thinking the above.

And to answer the question: I don't think that CoinZip is any more worthy of stickys than eBay or anything else. Stick a line in your signature if you'd like; that seems sufficient.

I haven't bought anything from them either, but what I've seen doesn't seem like the chance for any better deals than ebay. I also notice that there are alot of 30 day auctions. I just don't like having to wait 30 days to try and win a coin.jmo

I thought dooly was talking about a single sticky post similar to the one where people post their ebay ID. That wouldn't bother me, but anything with more than one post would.

I have not bought anything on CoinZip but just listed a few coins there this weekend. I don't think the traffic is high enough to make me comfortable starting a low start no reserve auction. I don't like reserve auctions so I started all of mine at what I thought was a fair price with a BIN a little higher. Most of the auctions that I have seen did something similar except for the fair price part. :(

The site doesn't yet have the traffic to start auctions low with no reserve. But overall, the site has some potential, if momentum builds. So, I've been experimenting with various techniques. I can't speak for other sellers, but I was able to lower my prices significantly as compared to my prices for the exact same coins on ebay. In most cases, I put my buy it now price below or equal to my ebay price, and set a hidden reserve much lower and a 1 dollar openning bid. However, the reserve format makes it very hard to tell I lowered anything, and almost no one seems to want to test it because, in 3 days of 1 dollar auctions, I've gotten 1 bid. I might again start setting the prices for all to see, if nothing sells.

It seems to me that as flawed as eBay is, you are actually getting a fair bit of exposure and some degree of protection in exchange for their percentage.

Someone once posted that if your percentage is so close that you can't afford the eBay/PayPal fees, you probably shouldn't be selling. (At least not on eBay)