• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1978 s ike proof mint error?? repunched?? need help

7 posts in this topic

Hello, I have this clad proof ike 1978-s that looks to me to have a repunched mint mark or something like it. (s over d). Can someone give a look see and tell me what you think. Was thinking whether or no to send it for grading. Thanks Paul

55620-DSCF2142-2.JPG.685f527ba2f37182a0b9a98a203873ec.JPG

I believe this is normal for the mintmark. In 1979, they redid the mintmark, thus the clear and blob S of that year. It would stand to reason that the previous year's mintmark would also be somewhat blob-like.

The 1978-S was produced only for proof sets. The 1978-S proofs I have all have the blob S. Like Conder said, it appears to be normal die wear--especially since there is no reference of the variety in the Cherrypicker's Guide.

Remember, the Eisenhower dollar was difficult to strike, even for proofs. To get a good strike for proof coins, the Mint was striking these coins three times while striking others only twice. It is very likely that this is from normal die wear.

The 1979-S Susan B. Anthony dollars have recognized Type 1 (blob) and Type 2 (clear) mint mark varieties. These were specific changes in master dies and not the result of die wear.

Scott :hi: