• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Franklin Half Collectors – Are there 1948’s with “ghost” initials?

8 posts in this topic

Final master hubs for the Franklin halves had two sets of designers initials – JRS. One set was as they appear on normal coins, the other set was to the right of those and in slightly smaller letters.

According to documents, the right-most set were removed from the master hub by acting engraver Gilroy Roberts. Does anyone have a 1948 half that shows traces of the other set of initials? (I’ve examined several under 45x and see nothing.)

[This was also posted on the PCGS boards.]

JRS.jpg

Good image showing the location of initials, Mike Byers image of a Franklin half struck on a 1948 cent.

I was not aware that there were two sets of initials, first I hear of this...but I will examine my 1948 issues when possible.

They should be to the right of where Liberty crosses the truncation of the bust on the Byers image.

rrantique -

Sorry. I can't tell from the photo. Light needs to be on the truncation of the bust where the present initials are.

rrantique -

Sorry. I can't tell from the photo. Light needs to be on the truncation of the bust where the present initials are.

I'll see if i can post a little better photo. :sorry:

After closer examination, this is only a lighting figment. ;)

Picture005-23.jpg

No....they were supposed to be on the truncation, in line, but to the right of the present ones.