• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who is our resident 1804 C-6 Half Cent expert?

3 posts in this topic

How rare are 1804 C-6 in die states I & II as described in Breen's Half

Cent Encyclopedia? Are they still "EXTREMELY RARE", or have they

started popping up everywhere? I assume that the crack touching the

bases of the fraction shows in die state III, but it's not in Breen's

description even though it shows in his photo. This crack doesn't show

in his photo of D.S. II.

Any opinions are welcomed. hm

Manley regards die state 1 as common (>2000 exist) and die state 2 as rare (T.5, 31-75 secimens). His photo of die state 2 shows the crack from the left serif of the U in UNITED to the 2 in the fraction. That crack becomes more evident in DS3. It is likely that a well worn DS2 piece would not retain the vestiges of the crack.

Hoot

Good morning, DLeonard-3.

I took a look in "American Half Cents, The Little Half Sisters" 2nd edition (Cohen) and here's what he says about variety 6 of the 1804 half cent....

"Rarity 2, This variety is often collected by die states of the reverse since it is a relatively common coin. The actual number of states of the reverse is difficult to define. One collector has a display of 17 states. There is 1 known specimen in high condition which has no evidence of any break."

Condition census UNC (4) - AUNC (6)

Hope this is a little bit helpful.

RI AL