• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pine Tree Shilling questions

3 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am a treasure hunter and recently unearthed a Pine Tree Shilling, at the home of someone I had met only a week earlier. His house was built in the 1700's and he informed me the soil in the front of the house was still original. The coin was found in obviously undisturbed ground, at a depth of 10 inches, and my machine told me it was definitely silver. It came out in tremedous shape.

I sent it to PCGS and a phone call just a few moments ago told me they applied a No grade 90 to it, basically stating it to be non-authentic. I find that extremely difficult to believe based on the above facts.

Is this coin possibly something NCS could authenticate and grade?? I can attach some pictures if that would help prior to my submitting it, but I would like to know beforehand if possible, as I am already out the fees for sending it to PCGS.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer.

Best regards,

Jeff

Unfortunately, counterfeit examples of pine tree shillings are quite common. Some are fakes meant to fool numismatists while others are more crude fakes produced as souvenir pieces sold to visitors of historic sites.

If a coin is not genuine, there is little we would be able to do to help your piece. Conservation can not make a counterfeit coin genuine.

If you are looking for a second authenticity opinion, we would certainly be able to do that for you.

There is a limit to the amount of information I might be able to give to you based on an image. Feel free to post images on the Collectors' Society board or through our email at NCShelp@NCScoin.com.

Chris, NCS

Chris,

Thank you for the response. I understand if it is not real it cannot be made real, but I'm not convinced it isn't real and I'm seeking a second opinion. I posted some pics to the NCSHelp address you gave me. If you, or someone, can look at them and tell me if you think it is a candidate for submission, let me know and I'll get it ready.

Thank you!

Jeff