• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1837 and 1838 capped bust half dollar reference

25 posts in this topic

Just curious...is there a reference book for the capped bust half dollars from the final 2 years of the series? I know Overton goes to 1836,. but who does the modified last 2 years?

RI AL

Alright, I downloaded all the images, converted them and compressed them into a single PDF file. If someone with a website wants to put it up online and link to it, I would be more than happy to make it available to everyone. Just let me know. It is about 10 MB, or 7 MBs zipped.

The 1929 publication of A Register of Half Dollar Die Varieties and Sub-Varieties by Beistle is very difficult to use and has no images. Additionally, the 1988 publication of Variety Identification Manual for United States Reeded Edge Half Dollars 1836-1839 by Reiver is also very difficult to use and has few images. I own both of these publications and use them on occasion, but they are not for the faint of heart.

Heritage now has the complete Reiver work online, but it is more difficult to read the online version than to read the VIM in-hand. The Beistle book comes up sporadically and should cost about $25 while the Reiver VIM is a bit tougher and had cost upwards of $50 before Heritage offered the information online. One may access the Reiver VIM through Heritage by going to any RE half listed on their site, though I do not know if one may download the images and host them on their own site.

Additionally, be aware that the Overton book does not include any information on RE halves. Therefore, all the 1836 and 1837 issues of RE halves will be missing from Overton. Lastly, historically few folks have attributed RE halves and this has led to a general overestimation of die pair rarity so use that information sparingly. I thoroughly enjoy the RE halves, so feel free to ask for more information.

Heritage now has the complete Reiver work online, but it is more difficult to read the online version than to read the VIM in-hand. The Beistle book comes up sporadically and should cost about $25 while the Reiver VIM is a bit tougher and had cost upwards of $50 before Heritage offered the information online. One may access the Reiver VIM through Heritage by going to any RE half listed on their site, though I do not know if one may download the images and host them on their own site.

23pairer is going to host the pdf file that I made from the images on the Heritage website. It is a single pdf file, and much easier to use than the 61 individual pages they have. When it is up, either he or I will post a link here.

Hey, Guys, and thanks much for your replies and assistance. I will be looking forward to the pdf file on 1836-39 capped busties.

I get a real kick out of "attribution", though I probably get it wrong many times. It's the TRYING to figure them out that is so much fun!

Many thanks. What a great group y'all are!!

RI AL

Alright, I just got permission from Heritage to do what I did, so I sent the file to 23pairer and he should be putting it up online soon. Either he or I will post the link here.

Hurrah! At long last, the wait is over. Click on the link below to get the pdf version of the Reiver reference, all in one file. Much easier to use than the format Heritage had. Thanks to Heritage for permission to do this, and thanks to 23pairer for hosting it on his website. It is about 10MB, so you will have to be patient.

http://limke.net/Reiver%20-%20Manual%20for%20United%20States%20Half%20Dollars%201836-1839.pdf

I have the Reiver booklet. He gave me a copy years ago. I met Jules years ago at an EAC convention, and he and my mom went to the University of Delaware at the same time in the late '30s and early '40s.

Some of the varieties are a bit tedious. Are you ready to start counting how many reeds there are around the edge of a reeded edge half dollar?

The Reeded Edge halves are a series that I have been collecting and studying for about 15 years. Jules Guide is as stated a very difficult guide to use although his section in the back that can some times make it easier. The series was completely hubbed in one piece except for the final digit of the date so attribution is by die anomolies only. This make these coins difficult to attribute many time from pictures. It can be a very challenging series and also very rewarding series to collect.

Also as mentioned, Jules produced his guide in 1988 and much has been learned since that time. There are errors in the guide and the rariety ratings are not accurate at all. Many are more common that he projected and some are rarer. Jules made his projections from a very small sampling, hence the adjustments. There are also a number of new varieties that have been found since then which are not listed in the guide.

I am always interested in hearing from collectors who are pursuing the series or one interested in starting so that we can share knowledge and help the series to get the exposure that it deserves.

Welcome to the boards, Half-collector. Feel free to jump right in and start sharing that knowledge of yours. I'll soak it up like a sponge. :)

Howdy and Welcome Half-collector. :hi:

Good evening, guys.

Thanks once again for the posting of the Reiver book. As said here by other posters, it's a challenge. I have an 1837 and 1838, XF and AU so I can see pretty much everything necessary to determine variety. Well...THIS IS A Challenge!!!

I have ben able to eliminate several varieties, but haven't been able to nail down which ones I have yet. I think the 1838 is easier than the 1837, but both have stumped me for the present. I sure am having a good time trying, however!!! My 1800 half dime was a heck of a lot easier to attribute. There were only 2 varieties...I think... hm

RI AL

RI AL, with an XF and AU you should not have any trouble with attributtion. I most often start with the reverse since the majority of these coins are attributeed by die cracks and more of them have reverse cracks than obverse. It seems that they had trouble with striking pressure on the new steam presses especially in 1837. Then confirm with the obverse if you find a reverse match.

Pictures would help if you could post any. Many of these varieties have the same "look" so to speak so it is possible to narrow it down after you have seen many of that particular variety. For instance, 1838 JR-8 and 9 bith share the same reverse and are void of dentils on the reverse from 12 o'colck to 3 o'clock. The die appears to have been set up off center. So if you see this you can narrow your search very quickly.

Many of the lines and dots and lumps are not large or prominent so you need to look for the more obvious cracks first and proceed to other factors later. I prefer not to use soft strike because these can occur on any given planchet at any time and the same with clash marks because they appear later and you could have an early strike.

It can be fun and rewarding. Post some pix if you can or hollar if you need some help. Let me know what varieties you find.

Howdy, Half-collector.

This may be a duplicate post as I'm not quite sure I did the last attempt correctly. It didn't show up here so I must have hit the wrong #%$ button...again.

Anyway, I'm grateful for your attribution skills in determining varieties of my 1837 and 1839 half dollars. I have spent just a couple of hours so far with the Reiver listings but kinda' didn't get too far. The guide is a bit tough to use.

I am posting pictures below for my 1837 and 1839 and again, your thoughts would be very much appreciated!

RI AL

cappedo.jpg

cappedr.jpg

RI AL, nice looking coins. The 1837 appears to look like JR-10. You can see the clash marks that come up from the front of the bust on the obverse ( although others have these also ) and the "fillet" as Jules calls them on top of the left facing wing from top to eagle's neck. All th Jr-10's I have seen have a die line from the dentils to the inside serif of the N in CENTS at bottom (not mentioneed in Jules book). Tilt the coin sideways to see this better. This could not be seen in a photo of the size you provided.

The 1839 appears to be a JR-3 ( JR-2-3-4 are all the same die variety, just different die states in my opinion but will go into that at a later time). The recutting on the top outside curve of the 9 on the top left is visible on all early states. Reverse has a lump to left of the lowest olive leaf in the field which I believe I can see in your photo. This gets weaker as dies progress. Also there is a verticle die line between the two olive branches just to the left of the split ( to left of left talon). May need to rotate coin to see this. Neither of these are mentioned in Jules book but are best markers for this variety. If these are not there or you cannot see them, let me know. I could send enlarged pictures of them either to you by email directly or if someone could explain the process for attaching pictures to this site I could try that. I am not particularly computer savy so make the directions "fool Proof".

Check them out and let me know what you find.

This is exciting. I will private mail you and try to explain how I learned to post pictures here. I am the ultimate computer illiterate so hopefully I can send clear instructions to a fellow "computer impared" collector.

I really appreciate your help!!!!!!

RI AL

RI AL, I am posting the photos that I sent you in PM in case it would be of interest to others. The 1837 JR-10 has a die line as I mentioned on the reverse as shown here. Also note softness in CE which is also characteristic of this variety. You can see it in you photo also.

RIAL1837JR-10rev.jpg

The 1839 JR-3 has a lump and die line on reverse as I mentioned previously.

RIAL1839JR-3rev.jpg

The 1839 JR-3 has recutting on the 9 and a die line above the 3 which is very faint on this early ddie state but becomes more pronounced as the die wears toward JR-4.

RIAL1839JR-3obv.jpg

Hope these photos will help to identify your coins if it is not the varieties I think they are, let me know and we will search some more.

Hello, Half-collector.

Sorry I did n't get back to you sooner with my sincere thanks for your efforts in helping me identify my 1837 and 1839. Anyway..THANKS!!

The 1839 is a perfect match to the pictures so it officially has it JR-3 Label on the holder now. The 1837 is problematic so I will go back to the book and see which varieties are similar.

On the 1837, the reverse is not boldly struck but I see no line from the serif of the N (ONE) to the denticles. I am going to attach a bigger scan but it appears that the denticle and right base of the N are connected on my example. Also, between the base of the N and T is a triangular shaped "blob" (how's THAT for technical numismatic lingo???). Finally you photo shows a vertical break between the top of the C to the bottom of the E which is not present on my coin. Again, CENTS is fairly week (especially CE as you stated) but I will try the bigger scan. Any thought s would be appreciated if/when you have a moment.

One more time...THANK YOU!!

RI AL

1837giantr.jpg