• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade and Attribution opinions sought on my 1795 half-cent

9 posts in this topic

I wouldn't let the corrosion bother me on this coin either, James. I believe that coin should net F12(JMO) with the corrosion. Beautiful coin regardless. Thanks for sharing.

Jim

It looks like a C-6a. According to Breen's Half Cent Encyclopedia, this is obverse die 3, and reverse die D (No Pole / Triple Leaf at "IT"). On a normal thin planchet it is Rarity 3. However, if it is on a thick planchet, it could have been made from a cut-down Talbot, Allum & Lee token (C-6c & Rarity 2). I don't see any undertype from the token, so I'll rule that out. If it weighs between 100.5 & 124 grains, it may have been made from a mis-struck Cent (C-6b & Rarity 6). :grin:

Personally, I think she's a beauty, regardless of the corrosion. So much of the design is there to enjoy and I would be thrilled to make it part of my collection...even without a plastic tomb.

RI AL