• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Counterfeit PCGS slabs with fake coins, and so it begins.........

19 posts in this topic

Our friend Braddick posted some Trade Dollars recently, with a PCGS(ish) slab that looked like the real thing (aside from some hokey logo). Looks like they are now trying to replicate the real deal. The seller is actually the manufacturer of the coins and slabs, and is clever enough to use real PCGS serial numbers that correspond with his fake coins. He hasn't perfected anything yet, but he appears to be willing to do so in time. I imagine this thread will go nuts soon.......

click here to see the unfolding drama

Our friend Braddick posted some Trade Dollars recently, with a PCGS(ish) slab that looked like the real thing (aside from some hokey logo). Looks like they are now trying to replicate the real deal. The seller is actually the manufacturer of the coins and slabs, and is clever enough to use real PCGS serial numbers that correspond with his fake coins. He hasn't perfected anything yet, but he appears to be willing to do so in time. I imagine this thread will go nuts soon.......

click here to see the unfolding drama

No doubt, this is scary. Apparently there's another seller selling counterfeit PCGS slabs:

meixiacoin1957

Here:

click here

No doubt, this is scary. Apparently there's another seller selling counterfeit PCGS slabs:

meixiacoin1957

Here:

click here

Stinky... I looked at that coin and that one is difficult to tell because if you check the PCGS cert (click here) verifies the coin information. I even checked the Krause Standard Catalog for Y-332, and that checks out. So how can you be sure that this is a counterfeit?

Scott :hi:

meixiacoin1957

Here:

click here

Stinky... I looked at that coin and that one is difficult to tell because if you check the PCGS cert (click here) verifies the coin information. I even checked the Krause Standard Catalog for Y-332, and that checks out. So how can you be sure that this is a counterfeit?

Well I heard this seller was selling counterfeits too.

Most of the counterfeited slabs now WILL have a PCGS cert number that checks out. At least, thats what ive heard.

meixiacoin1957

Here:

click here

most, if not all of the "US coins" (counterfeit PCGS slabs) have legit PCGS serial numbers; one even sold somewhat recently in a Heritage auction. the counterfeiters are doing the smart thing by using legit numbers to coincide with the fake coins they are churning out.

This counterfeiter was/is making NGC- PCGS -ANACS who know what else or if any have been sold at heritage or teletrade . Seems the slabs give them away but how many of us would be caught at a show on ebay or auction they look pretty good.My worry is how long

before a fake slabbed coin sells for the big bucks and somebody takes a big bath or if somebody decides that some of the coins sold in the past are in fake slabs .If you think the housing market has taken a hit with consumer confidence what would happen to TPG graded coins ??

Makes me wonder how many people have already bought these counterfeit coins/cases hoping to pass them down to their children, thinking they are doing a good thing only for the children to find it's not the real. Sometimes this world just p****s me off. I guess the next step is for the TPG company's to start making tougher cases to copy, but then again where theres a will theres a way.

Looks like China is off to a good start in its bid to enter the USA rare coin market. Next they will be selling sheets of fake CAC stickers.

Wouldn't you just love a tour of this guys factory. Don't you just love his pro business attitude. Looks like he's ready to take some serious coin orders.

I feel that one of the huge contributions to this growing problem - and I've been harping about it for years now - is the folks like Heritage and TeleTrade who maintain long-term archives of slab images. These scammers have an enormous resource right there for plucking valid cert numbers and using them on their fake slabs. Now that eBay requires a full-slab image, that adds yet another resource for mining legitimate serial numbers.

Before eBay's new rules, I would often blur out part or all of the serial number of slabs I sold.

On August 8th thru the 24th, Beijing will host the 2008 Olympic Games...I have a hunch many of these "knock-off" slabs will find a first class way back into the mainstream collector colonies for dispersal in countries like Europe, America, Canada, Australia, etal. hm

I feel that one of the huge contributions to this growing problem - and I've been harping about it for years now - is the folks like Heritage and TeleTrade who maintain long-term archives of slab images. These scammers have an enormous resource right there for plucking valid cert numbers and using them on their fake slabs. Now that eBay requires a full-slab image, that adds yet another resource for mining legitimate serial numbers.

Or you can have a confederate walk the floor at an ANA show, or do lot viewing at a couple of major sales and get all the serial numbers you want. Go home, look them up on the TPG websites and get all the rest of the infomation you want. Many auction catalogs don't prnt the picture of the slab, but a lot of them do publish the serial number in the description.

Getting valid serial numbers is childs play.

Before eBay's new rules, I would often blur out part or all of the serial number of slabs I sold.

Isn't having photos of classic coins on HA and TT going to help the problem since many of the coins the scammers make won't have the same look? At least for some of the ones that have been posted.

It might be different if the scammers were going after coins that are hard to tell apart from photos, e.g. a real coin in a fake slab with a pedigree, e.g. FBL, FH, FB, etc.

We should keep in mind that China has been the world’s largest economy for 18 of the past 20 centuries"and that China was not only the largest economy for much of recorded history. Until the 15th century, it also had the highest income per capita — and was the world’s technological leader." Paper -The Compass-Gun Powder-

In China they have produced coins continuously for around 2,500

Think if they can copy Rolex - DVD-compact disks-video tape-computer chips-even counterfeit drugs-Louis Vuitton-Chanel-Gucci -aircraft bolts and those company's can't stop it. Do you think PCGS and NGC can

Think if they can copy Rolex - DVD-compact disks-video tape-computer chips-even counterfeit drugs-Louis Vuitton-Chanel-Gucci -aircraft bolts and those company's can't stop it. Do you think PCGS and NGC can

Good point, which is why I was against congress renewing Most Favored Nation (MFN) trade status in 2005. So we are rewarded with products with lead-based paint, tainted foodstuffs, and more counterfeits than the gross domestic product of many smaller countries!

Let's get past this set of numb:censored:s, and see if the next administration will help stop this!

We should keep in mind that China has been the world’s largest economy for 18 of the past 20 centuries
I thought that was years at first. The US has only been around for a little more than past 2 centuries.

Isn't having photos of classic coins on HA and TT going to help the problem since many of the coins the scammers make won't have the same look? At least for some of the ones that have been posted.

It might be different if the scammers were going after coins that are hard to tell apart from photos, e.g. a real coin in a fake slab with a pedigree, e.g. FBL, FH, FB, etc.

As long as they are producing goofy looking "bust dollars" and such, sure. But how about a blast white 1895 proof Morgan? or 1928 Peace dollar? or a mint red 1914-D Lincoln? or for that matter, our old standby: widgets?

I see these goofy early coins as a test. The real profits for our Chinese scammers are in the moderns, where every coin looks like the next and on-line images are useless for comparisons.

I see these goofy early coins as a test. The real profits for our Chinese scammers are in the moderns, where every coin looks like the next and on-line images are useless for comparisons.
If this is the crux of the issue, I don't think HA/TT historical photos materially help or hurt counterfeiting of modern widgets.