• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1817 over 13 Capped Bust Half added to my collection. Grade Revealed.

16 posts in this topic

Hi, Everyone! :hi:

I finally found one of these 1817 over 13 CBH's that I really liked. It is an O-101, R-3.

One of the easiest overstrikes to view without a magnifying glass!

If you would like to comment pro or con be my guest. Also if you care to grade this CBH please do that too.

18173cbho.jpg

18173cbhr.jpg

AAJ :grin:

And to me it looks like somewhere in the XF-AU range depending on surfaces and luster. Hard to tell from those pics with toning like that.

That is very cool coin Al. The obverse with toning on the "TATE" in STATES, looks like a different serif was used. I'm guessing VF-35 on the grade. (thumbs u

Hi, DJCoinz :hi:

Thank you for the kind words about my CBH.

Weak strikes are the rule for this CBH variety. The dozen or so that I have viewed over the last two years in the grade I wanted bear this out.

Most of them had center obverse strike weaknesses also on the reverse the left wing, head and beak of the eagle show weak strikes.

I will give a few more persons a chance to comment or grade my CBH before my comments. :)

AAJ :grin:

And to me it looks like somewhere in the XF-AU range depending on surfaces and luster. Hard to tell from those pics with toning like that.

Hi, MBA101 and All :hi:

Thank you all for your encouraging and positive words on my 1817 over 13 CBH! :grin:

You, along with many others on this forum graded this coin XF40-45. I bought it from Osburn, raw, and he had it graded Obv-XF40, Rev-XF45. The toning is darker in hand.

Because of the nature of the weak strike on this variety having one in this condition was just right for me. (thumbs u

AAJ