• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does this eMail set of any alarms for you? Got it just now....

10 posts in this topic

Date: Mon Mar 24 14:19:27 2008

To:

Subject: gold coin request

Dear Sir/Madam,

I'm a gold coin's collector for my investment and want to ask some question about it, Please let me know if you can manage the following:

- I need to buy 2006-2008 Proof American Eagle/Buffalo Gold Coin with certificate.

- Could you ship to Florida using my FedEx's account ?

- Can I use my credit card for payment system?

- Any chance you would do a discount price if i will buying more than one?

I just dont want to wait 2 week plus the shipping time to get it.

Thanks for any consideration, please feel free to contact me by email. Nice hear your info as fast as possible. Thank you

Regards,

(name withheld)

I get bad vibes reading this email. I'd quote him a price and require that he sends cash or a postal money order. If you do take a credit card, ship only to the billing address and ask for signature confirmation of delivery..

James, looks to me like a form letter being sent out to dealers as per generic heading....

Dear Sir/Madam,

I'd go fishing just to see what happens...curious, keep us informned.

Scam, no doubt. Looks like one of 1000 spam mails that I get a work every day (not about coins).

It sets off alarms with me as well. It just might be legit if it is some group trying to acquire a supply for a promotional push campaign, but before I shipped ANYTHING to him I would have a long talk with FedEx and the credit card issurer expressing my concerns that it might be a scam (Phony or stolen FedEx account info, possibly stolen credit card number or if good how I could prevent the possibility of a charge back) and have them do some investigating first. Which means that shipping would be delayed until I heard back approval from them.

Exactly. You never know how sophisticated an operation exists. I was a victim of Idenity theft about 7 years ago along with a group of others.

They had checks that were stolen from a Business a few years previously and they had a Florida drivers license with ny name and address on it and their picture and they knew who I banked with as well as my account number.The Drivers license also had all the proper identifying marks.

It is better to be safe then sorry as you don't always get advance warning.