• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1884cc interesting die crack?

8 posts in this topic

My photography isn't the best but take a look at this Morgan. From the 7 o'clock to 10 o'clock thru the stars looks like a minor fissure caused by a cracking stamp. The same mark is on the reverse. Am I wrong? Regards, Rick.

55075-ccaa.JPG.e1662a672718c9b419762813e4c43252.JPG

55076-ccbb.JPG.6ad472125e30a672e12c73ce4d0a319d.JPG

Rick, that's a nice '84-CC, but die cracks do not add any premium to the value unless they are extremely severe. They are very common in the Morgan series.

Chris

I really don't care about the premium.....it's still a one-of-a-kind coin that makes it a neat collectible. I was going to sell it on Ebay since I own 2 other nicer ones. I graded it a MS63. Close???? Regards, Rick.

If you're going to put it on eBay, I wouldn't claim that it is one-of-a-kind. You can often find multiples of the same die cracks, and making that statement would not lend itself to your credibility. Given that lack of detail in her hair, I'd guess that MS63 might be on the high side.

Chris

I did not intend to sell it as a one of a kind....just as a coin with an unusual die crack. I don't think that's a stretch....another pic of the lady's hair. I've seen worse detail in NGC MS64's. Regards, Rick.

55081-ccc.JPG.631e5882c2dc66b7c41126ba7504e50d.JPG

My 1884 CC GSA Morgan has the exact same faint die crack. I also have been told it isn't anything special (but it's special to me!).