• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nice doubled profile 1831 circ large cent

6 posts in this topic

Picked this one up for next to nothing at an antique store while browsing other stuff. My color balance is off but it has a nice color-possible re-colored, but that is fine. I put her in oil to get some of the verdigris off and that is why it has the sheen to it----I didn't dry it completely before taking these pics. This is the kind of coin that is just plain fun and a pleasure to hold raw and enjoy. Being over 175 years old is nice too.

1831largecento.jpg

1831largecentr.jpg

1831largecentdt.jpg

Lucky . Nice pickup. That is an N-12 and believe it or not, a relatively early die state. Later on the obverse die starts falling apart to the right of the date. The photos in Noyes book make most 1831 cents appear to have a doubled profile but he never mentions it that I can tell. I'm sure there are experts who appear to have better things to do on Friday night that will shed more light on the doubling tomorrow. --Jerry