• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any plans for a British coins registry?

16 posts in this topic

Michael,

I sure hope so! NGC is known for world coins much more than PCGS, so i'm surprised it hasn't happened sooner! I posted this question to the 'ask NGC' forum, and JoiseyGirl (NGC employee) asked for suggestions for new competitive world sets. I guess they are going to do more this year, and are looking for input.

it does seem weird that NGC is more reknowned for world coin grading yet has so few registry categories for worlds.....I think Britannias and mexico onzas too...maybe some Mexico gold coin categories also...some of those britannia and mexican coin designs are stunning

I mean, c'mon - how long would it really take to set one up...an afternoon? Compare that to the revenue generated by people who get their British coins slabbed so they can participate!

Actually the decimalization attempts of the U.K-Florin, half Crown and Crown should be more important to the overall numismatist community than they appear to be. Why these sets do not have their own registry is beyond me, considering their cost and scarcity.

Dooly and Michael, I think that we may be outvoted? However there is a growing number of Great Britain and Commonwealth coin collectors who would probably support a much higher base of submission for grading if there were denominational and type registry sets to motivate these collectors. I personally have a number of pre-1945 silver Florins back to 1849, which I would have certified if there was a registry to place them in.