• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Artificially Toned VF - Would be my Interpretation of this coin - YOURS?

22 posts in this topic

This appears to me to be toning which could occur naturally or artificially.

I'd simply call it pretty....Mike

I agree .. I did purchase this coin because of the 'prettiness' factor

I agree with those folks who think it likely that the coin was previously cleaned and then toned in something like an album so that this would be considered secondary toning. However, I disagree with those folks who think the coin is attractive.

I agree with those folks who think it likely that the coin was previously cleaned and then toned in something like an album so that this would be considered secondary toning. However, I disagree with those folks who think the coin is attractive.
Tom, I'm curious, might you find the coin attractive if you didn't think or know that the toning was due to a cleaning? In other words, is it more about the actual colors or their probable cause? Thanks.

Tom, I'm curious, might you find the coin attractive if you didn't think or know that the toning was due to a cleaning? In other words, is it more about the actual colors or their probable cause? Thanks.

The surfaces appear to be quite slick and the greyish centers do not look to be a natural coloration that one might find on these pieces.

The surfaces appear to be quite slick and the greyish centers do not look to be a natural coloration that one might find on these pieces.

Tom, I understand that. But I'm am trying to ascertain whether you would find the same colors attractive if you deemed them to be original instead of unnatural? Sorry if I didn't make my question clear before.

I'm going to have to go against the grain and grade it only as FINE (high end of fine though) with cleaned, somehow retoned surfaces.

Not ugly, but not handsome either...right there in the middle.

I am putting Buffalo nickels and Standing Lib. Quarters into 50 year old "Library of Coins" albums hoping that they will tone like that half!!!

I must say I like that half! It may grade VF today but 30 years ago it would only be Fine.

Tom, I understand that. But I'm am trying to ascertain whether you would find the same colors attractive if you deemed them to be original instead of unnatural? Sorry if I didn't make my question clear before.

Howdy Mark, your question was quite clear and my answer was direct. I don't like the coin because the surfaces appear to be quite slick and also because the greyish centers do not look to be a natural coloration. Those are my reasons; the coin appears slick and looks to be a color I do not like.