• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A histortical look at coins! (Warning Large Images)

10 posts in this topic

Here is a peek into the past and what the coin industry was like in May of 79 and Oct of 81.

79p1.jpg

79p2.jpg

79p3.jpg

79p4.jpg

79p5.jpg

79p6.jpg

79p7.jpg

79p8.jpg

81p1.jpg

81p2.jpg

81p3.jpg

81p4.jpg

81p5.jpg

81p6.jpg

81p7.jpg

81p8.jpg

Notice a few things... David Hall was buying 1973 Mint Sets @ $28.00! David you still buying?? Most of the ads are from now defunked coin shops or firms. CC dollar in all grades made good gains from 79 to 81. Check out the prices on BU rolls of cents, quarters, nickels, etc.... Take the year 1934 for example... Prices went thru the roof! in that short time. There are many things can be looked over in this time frame... Enjoy and discuss. Comment away!

In looking at some of the backpage ads you can see that Steve Ivy was busy and he is now one of the main partners of Heritage; Al Adams is now better known as Gold Rush Gallery; A-Mark is still in business; Bowers and Merena was still known as Bowers and Rudy and was owned by the cereal folks at General Mills, Sam Sloat is still around as is Steinmetz; the Westchester show (WESPNEX) is still active and of course David Hall was buying 1973 US Mint Sets.

To tell you the truth, I am surprised that after nearly 30-years that that many folks or businesses are still around.

Tom it just goes to show you what a ruthless business this is. Not many survived. I enjoy looking at things like this alot. Makes me wish I could go back to this time and buy some coins! While some of the main guys here are now other places many are gone and lost. I recently picked up some coins that have Bowers and Rudy tags in the holders. Man Grading was all ove the map.

Hard to believe it will be 30 years ago...seems like yestrerday.

I believe it was the 1973 Ike dollar in the mint set that was speculative at the time?

I noticed the per copy price rose by .50 also.

Thanks for post Bruce...I will come back often.

I also enjoy stuff like this. I know a dealer in Colorado who has a 1930's Max Hehl Book. I am trying to get him to sell it to me. This stuff to me is just interesting..

Brucewar, forget the dealer in Colorado, just pick one up on eBay. (search "star rare coin" and/or "Max Mehl") There are at least a half dozen listed right now including this group of 7 editions from 1930 to 1957 from J T Stanton's library. Currently at $10 with no bids, ending in 4 days 9 hours. (I have no connection with this auction)

http://cgi.ebay.com/335-Group-of-seven-B-Max-Mehl-Coin-Catalogs_W0QQitemZ250227987295QQihZ015QQcategoryZ530QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

In looking at some of the backpage ads you can see that Steve Ivy was busy and he is now one of the main partners of Heritage; Al Adams is now better known as Gold Rush Gallery; A-Mark is still in business; Bowers and Merena was still known as Bowers and Rudy and was owned by the cereal folks at General Mills, Sam Sloat is still around as is Steinmetz; the Westchester show (WESPNEX) is still active and of course David Hall was buying 1973 US Mint Sets.

To tell you the truth, I am surprised that after nearly 30-years that that many folks or businesses are still around.

Very cool :) I saw a couple of those but it's nice to have more pointed out.

I agree Bruce... vintage coin lit makes for great reading. Used books stores always have one or two items. I just bought a 1960's rebbook for a grand total of 1.50. Good post!