• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buffalo nickel OOM??? Huh?

5 posts in this topic

I'll probably slap myself for not knowing this but doh! what is an OOM? (I assume it has something to do with the mintmark.) I have a PCGS 66 1938d/s buffalo and just happened to run into an ad in Coin World listing OOM1, OOM2, OOM3, OOM4. So now...I want to figure out which varierty I have. I could try to scan the reverse and post, but is this something that can be determined without high magnification?

This past week or so I have been in Music Coin paradise and found the mother load of pieces I need (I've ordered some including the 6 Guitar coins from Somalia certified/NGC {who posted those darned pictures that got me hunting for a set of them in the first place...}). I may have to sell what's left of my body to science before I can get some of those other suckers... but I must admit that U.S. type is still my #1 love.

Be well, everyone. I miss the Chat room and hope to be able to read much better in the next week or so.

RI AL

Well, I really don't know about OOM, I've not seen that one before. Could what you are asking about be OMM? That is standard lingo for "Over Mint Mark" which is exactly what you describe.

David Lange's Buffalo Nickel book shows pictures of all four OMMs. The CherryPickers Guide only shows pictures of OMM-1. If you have access to either of these it might help. It probably would require a decent amount of magnification to see, but if you can scan at a high resolution it might be enough. You can also scan from different directions, rotating the coin on the scanner. That might help put the shadows in the right spots to see the required details.

Post the images and we may be able to help.