• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Clashes.

16 posts in this topic

I like them. I'm so lazy that I like to see the obv & rev designs without turning a coin over. :)

lol lol :signfunny: :signfunny: lol lol

Chris

I like clashes, too, and I'm partial to Morgan dollars because they're large enough so that I can see them easily without using an electron microscope.

I like them. I'm so lazy that I like to see the obv & rev designs without turning a coin over. :)

Now that's funny. Wish I had thought of it.

I really like the multi-denominational clashes and anything with a dramatic clash.

When I was in my class at the ANA recently in phoenix for grading authentication and conservation we got to examine lots of counterfeit gold. I remember many people telling me they had a hard time seeing the tool marks in the necks of the 2 1/2 gold.

But anyway, I remember picking up a counterfeit (Or was it geniune? I can't remember. It was probably geniune, they had a few geniune pieces mixed in there too) I was looking in the recess of the neck and noticed a raised line extending from the side of the neck. I asked brian if this was die polish or some tool marks, he told me it was a die clash. Pretty neat and first time I'd seen one.

As a type collector I don't care for them generally. I'm looking for the best example of each design, and clash marks interfere with that. The only way that they become interesting to me is when they are quite dramatic, such as those found on the 1865 nickel three cent piece that was posted earlier.