• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you think... an older commentary on US Coin Design

5 posts in this topic

While surfing for something else, I found this article at the website for American Heritage Magazine titled "Cents and Sensibility: Why we hate the new money" by Eugene Dorgan. The article was published in the September 2000 edition and posted on their site.

Dorgan, an associate professor at the Art Institute of Boston, argues against the new designs. He said in his conclusion, "The old money echoed the buzz of American commercial energy. Our new coins are bloodless. Our new bills have no artistic message, no embedded meaning, only an embedded security thread."

Comments? hm

Scott :hi:

I’ve heard and read this comment about the new currency in other places as well. The trouble with the old stuff is that the counterfeiters were getting too good at duplicating it. When a computer scanner can do an adequate job of copying the nation’s currency, change is in order.

While, I agree with you, Bill, that change was necessary, I do not believe that it had to be a fugly change. Today's artist seem to be a canned artist that has the skill to specifically design something functional, but lacks the drive or ability to create something with beauty and meaning. This pertains to both currency and coinage. JMO

Jim

Artistic abilities have been tempered with political correctness and fear of total change.

In the good 'ol days if you wanted to send a message of world peace you did it (peace dollar). Can you imagine that today? The doves and hawks would fight it out in congress for years.

The end result is a cookie cutter design that is sanitized from any possible conflict

Artistic abilities have been tempered with political correctness and fear of total change.

In the good 'ol days if you wanted to send a message of world peace you did it (peace dollar). Can you imagine that today? The doves and hawks would fight it out in congress for years.

The end result is a cookie cutter design that is sanitized from any possible conflict

:applause:GREAT POINT!! (thumbs u